Mini Fridge / Chest Freezer gasket problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naptowndon

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and this forum but have found some great information and ideas. When I read of Kegging I knew I had to try it and when I saw the Keezers I knew that was next. On this site I found the coffin keezer and that is now the goal. I found a deal on a Kenmore chest freezer about 1 year old on Craigslist that actually came with a large mini-fridge that was older, both for $60. GE TA7SJ is a large brown mini-fridge that I figured I could put a tower in or just picnic lines and use it for lager. However it has a problem the gasket/seal around the door is torn in the corner. The seal up against is ok but the "folds" are where it's torn. I looked for replacement gaskets but the item is discontinued and NLA. Suggestions? Is there any adhesive or filler I can put in the gasket?

fi348.jpg

Hi

If the gasket was available as a new part from the manufacturer, it likely would run $75 to $150. Put another way, even if you could get it you wouldn't do it...

The gasket material is probably vinyl. You may be able to find cement for repairing auto seat covers that will work well enough to patch the gasket.

Bob

Thanks for the info. Because of the size and how cheap I got it figure I can give it a shot but also knew for the money it may be better to scrap it then put money into it. I'll try the vinyl sealer and see how it work. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. Because of the size and how cheap I got it figure I can give it a shot but also knew for the money it may be better to scrap it then put money into it. I'll try the vinyl sealer and see how it work. Thanks again.

Hi

You may need to try a combination of the two suggestions. The gasket is likely magnetic so you can't completely swap it out. The roofing stuff may help you build up the torn area.

Bob

The roof gasket is sticky on one side. I suggest one or the other. Combinations will not work long run and look like heck. If you know someone at a salvage yard, perhaps they can pull a gasket of right size for you from a dead unit for a couple of home brews!!

Thanks for the input. I actually used the gasket and a roofing flash(ing) adhesive in a caulk tube. Worked out well and sealed up so it's useable for now. I forced the door close to seal and I wouldn't do this again for so long as there is a a little less expansion by the tear but this was expected by sealing the folds.

Thanks again.

Back