Milky NEIPA Lactose Indecision

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald8_kop

Reaction score
Hey

Having done my first ever all grain (Totally Tropical by James Morton - currently cold crashing) I wanted to do something similarly interesting and hoppy but different enough to feel like I'm experimenting and learning (as I'm obviously an artisan of pale ales now :rolleyes:).

Don't think I I've ever had a NEIPA milkshake or similar but do have a love for milk stouts so I thought I'd sate my curiosity with this recipe:

Brewfather 5 Gallons / 19L Batch

What do we think to the lactose as a percentage of the grain bill? It seems pretty restrained as I've seen others of up to 15 percent but I don't know enough to gauge to what extent the oats will compensate/compliment it being only a 4 percent addition. I'm not wanting my first attempt to be anything extreme but I'd be disappointed if I couldn't tell that it was in there.

Should I run with the recipe and use it as a future point of reference? Would upping the amount of lactose run the risk of imbalance? Would going with 4 percent and then adding more at bottling if desired be more sensible?

Perhaps I should add that the original recipe suggested the option of adding vanilla too but I removed that since it seems a bit of a faff for now and would make deciphering the effect of different variables that bit harder. Don't know if it's omission would open the door to adding more lactose with vanilla being sweet.

Thanks!

I brew probably 80% NEIPAS, and to be honest, I’m not a fan of using lactose unless it’s specifically used for a milkshake style or actually used correctly.

I just looked at the recipe you posted and I personally wouldn’t follow his water profile, it’s set up to be on the drier and more bitter side so it seems he needs to use the lactose to get the body he’s looking for because his water is incorrect for style.

if you want great current info AND solid recipes on NEIPAS without lactose look here;
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-321#post-8958005
If you really want to use lactose, here would be the thread for you; most recipes call for about 3-8% lactose which is anywhere from about .4 - 1.5 lbs in 5gallons
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...t-cream-ipas-all-grain-clone-attempts.655422/

Thanks, will set aside a chunk of my Sunday to have a read through.

Regards water treatment however rightly or wrongly I was going to leave it alone for now since I'm still getting used to the process and my all in one.

Thanks, will set aside a chunk of my Sunday to have a read through.

Regards water treatment however rightly or wrongly I was going to leave it alone for now since I'm still getting used to the process and my all in one.
Yeah that’s ok, If you have good water you’ll be fine to make a decent beer.

That being said, water chemistry and ph have big impacts on the finished beer, so I’d suggest as soon as your ready to start learning about it to actually give it a shot. it will greatly improve your ability to fine tune beers and meet the mouthfeel and body for the style your

The other point to consider is that you can add the lactose once the beer is completed. That way you can try a glass and see if it improves the beer and at what level you want it at.

Dissolve it in some boiling water and then leave to cool before dozing into your finished product.

Also - great avatar - wawaw 😉

The other point to consider is that you can add the lactose once the beer is completed. That way you can try a glass and see if it improves the beer and at what level you want it at.

Dissolve it in some boiling water and then leave to cool before dozing into your finished product.

Also - great avatar - wawaw 😉

Yeah that's probably a safer option, or I could save the last 3 or 4 litres during bottling to play with.

And good man, we certainly are! Though it's no coincidence that I started homebrewing about Christmas time since which my output has been inversely proportional to Wednesday's results. Least I get a part refund on my s/t I guess

Yeah that's probably a safer option, or I could save the last 3 or 4 litres during bottling to play with.

And good man, we certainly are! Though it's no coincidence that I started homebrewing about Christmas time since which my output has been inversely proportional to Wednesday's results. Least I get a part refund on my s/t I guess

We certainly need a couple of forwards at least. I’m not sure where goals will come from otherwise. It all starts again this weekend eh?

Hey guys. Touching back on this subject.
@royalgallon mentions adding after fermentation. I recently changed my setup with a steam condenser and over shot volume by 2Gallons on my new NEIPA. So after reading this post. I was thinking... could I boil lactose and add it to the fermenter with some mango. Let it sit for two weeks????

Hey guys. Touching back on this subject.
@royalgallon mentions adding after fermentation. I recently changed my setup with a steam condenser and over shot volume by 2Gallons on my new NEIPA. So after reading this post. I was thinking... could I boil lactose and add it to the fermenter with some mango. Let it sit for two weeks????

Hey - you could have it sit in fermentation or even boil and add after conditioning. That way you can add levels to taste- get your dosage just right.

It’s going bad down Hillsborough eh?

Latest posts

Back