Milk stoutt over carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonk007

Reaction score
Ey all, had a question about my milk stout. I opened my first one of the batch today and it was super carbonated. This would be fine for an ipa but seems way to much for a stout. Will this calm down over time or an I pretty much stuck with this as the finished prouduct? It's been I. The bottle around a month

Sounds like over carbonation. The CO2 will not dissipate over time.

There are several potential causes of over carbonation:
1. The most likely is that too much priming sugar was used.
2. The priming sugar was not mixed well and you may experience inconsistent carbonation between the bottles.
3. If you bottled too early, your beer could still be fermenting, but now fermenting is a capped bottle. This can cause bottle bombs.
4. There's an infection, basically some microbe is consuming the residual sugars. This may also lead to bottle bombs.

I've come to learn there isn't a "one size fits all" amount of priming sugar like most kits include which is usually a 5oz packet. My first stout was more like stout seltzer and as a result I researched the proper amount of priming sugar for stouts.

Incidentally, many beer styles require different amounts of priming sugar. Here's a handy calculator to figure out how much you need based on style.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

As for your beer, I think the best you can do at this point is to pour it in a glass and let it sit for a half hour or more and hope some of the carbonation disperses a bit.

Back