milk can for brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmuskie

Reaction score
Im just starting to put together my all grain system and im going ghetto fabulous on this thing lol. I have a 10gal stainless milk can that i was thinking of using for my brew kettle....? is this a good idea or is there something about this that wont work? would i need to cut the neck off? any help would be great. thanks.

can you post a pic? most of the milk cans that i know of in that size rust out and are pretty nasty :(

I don't see why you can't use it, you might have to cut the neck off though to open it up some, not much of an opening in a milk can.

The milk can is stainless and seamless. it was used as a grease can in a kitchen so it needs serious degreasing. i bought it for $15 so not a big investment if it wont work. the opening in the neck is about "10 or so. I think i got a 8 gallon brew kettle on the way so i might just sell the milk can. ive seen them on ebay for over a $100 bucks... who knew. i guess people use them for liquor stills?

I'd probably take it to have the neck cut off, either with a saw or plasma torch and then ground smooth.

I'd have no reservations about degreasing if you are willing to spend some time doing it. I'd try heating it up with a heat gun to loosen the grease then wiping off and applying some degreaser, followed by a serious washing.

A stainless milk can was actually my first brew pot. My father-in-law had it on the farm so it was free. It worked pretty good but I'm much happier with my kettle now.

A stainless milk can was actually my first brew pot. My father-in-law had it on the farm so it was free. It worked pretty good but I'm much happier with my kettle now.

cool. good to know. I did get a 10 gallon brew kettle so i think im gonna put it up for sale. though i might use it for my hlt.

Back