Midwest Supplies Promo Codes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masbury

Reaction score
I just receive a promo code from Midwest Supplies for Beer Kits. When I clicked the link it took me to their beer kits. I made my choices from the link and entered the promo code BEER for, Buy One get One 50% off. The discount was not added and after a long Chat with their service dept I found out that their Simply Beer Kits are not included in the promotion. However, the link they provided in the email clearly shows them as a choice and there was no disclaimer to indicate that the Simply Beer Kits were excluded.

After bringing it to their attention they were not willing to honor their promotion as it was originally sent to their email customers. This is very poor customer service from a company that has been great up until this point.

I know the savings are not going to break the bank or my pocket as well. I will just find another company to order from in the future.

If you click the link in the email it takes you this page, where it clearly states that beer simply beer is not part of the sale. I've never seen those kits go on sale, they are crazy cheap to begin with

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180719-125049.png
    Screenshot_20180719-125049.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 74
If you click the link in the email it takes you this page, where it clearly states that beer simply beer is not part of the sale. I've never seen those kits go on sale, they are crazy cheap to begin with

The first email they sent on Tuesday 7/17 did not have the disclaimer like the promo email that was just sent today. After the long chat with their service rep yesterday they obviously quickly changed that. The email they sent today has the disclaimer that you posted.

Thanks Upthewazzu, I did not know they were owned by Bud. I'll give Morebeer a look.

The first email they sent on Tuesday 7/17 did not have the disclaimer like the promo email that was just sent today. After the long chat with their service rep yesterday they obviously quickly changed that. The email they sent today has the disclaimer that you posted.

Thanks Upthewazzu, I did not know they were owned by Bud. I'll give Morebeer a look.

Gotcha, that's not cool. I've never had a bad experience with Midwest but only order a few things a year online. Fortunate to have a couple local stores to buy from.

Quit using kits, get a scale, a mill, buy grain in bulk and you'll save more than enough to pay for those items. "Sales" offered by homebrew retailers seldom save you any real money.

Most beer kits are over priced by 20-30% or more. You're paying for the convenience of someone putting the kit together for you.

Both Midwest and Northern Brewer list the ingredients for every kit on their site. Download the PDF and take it to your LHBS. They will be happy to assist you. They need the money more and will be happy to assist you.

Most beer kits are over priced by 20-30% or more. You're paying for the convenience of someone putting the kit together for you.

Both Midwest and Northern Brewer list the ingredients for every kit on their site. Download the PDF and take it to your LHBS. They will be happy to assist you. They need the money more and will be happy to assist you.

That way you can also customize the kit recipe. For example, most IPA kits are skimpy on hops. Some extract recipes with steeping grain include flaked goods like flaked wheat, oats, or barley. Those need to be mashed, steeping them won't do any good. Etc.
Quit using kits, get a scale, a mill, buy grain in bulk and you'll save more than enough to pay for those items. "Sales" offered by homebrew retailers seldom save you any real money.
That would be the next, most logical step. Buying hops by the pound or half pound, and store them in the freezer, can save you lots of money too over buying single ounces, especially when brewing IPAs and other hoppy beers. Also make larger yeast starters and save some out. Also reuse yeast.

Last edited:

This varies a bit depending on your LHBS. I've done this a number of times and at my LHBS the price ends up being very similar when you factor in shipping. If Midwest/Northern Brewer is having a sale, like their current 20% off it's cheaper for me to order on line.

I usually still go with my LHBS because (1) I like to support local business, (2) I'm impatient and don't want to wait several days for shipping, and (3) this time of year (summer) I don't trust mail order liquid yeast.

Quit using kits, get a scale, a mill, buy grain in bulk and you'll save more than enough to pay for those items.

@masbury , if kits are what works best for you, keep using them. As long as you are having fun and enjoying the results, and the kits aren't breaking the bank, you just do what makes you happy.

Don't buy from Midwest/Northern Brewer. As others have said it is owned by AB InBev. I would suggest you find some local or online shop with awesome owners

Back