Midwest Supplies has terrible shipping policies.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper18

Reaction score
So I ordered a Simply Beer kit and of course i was ok with waiting a few days for FedEx or whomever they use to get my stuff here so i chose the cheapest option for shipping. Now I ordered Friday, and today is Tuesday and it still hasn't shipped. I talked to their reps. yesterday, and the way they do it is they receive the order, and then sit on it for a few days before they process it unless you pay for fast shipping.
Now how everyone else handles it:
Pay $10 for shipping: It takes around 3 days on a slow FedEx or UPS truck
Pay $20 for 2 day: It takes 2 days and they use faster expedite shipping through the system.
Pay$30 for next day: It goes on a plane so it can get there the next day.

With Midwest:
Pay $10 for shipping: They sit on it for 2 days, then they put it on the 3 day truck. So all in all they make you wait for a week for your stuff. I had planned to brew this weekend, but now I may not be able to. The EARLIEST they say it will get here is Friday. That's if i'm lucky.

Now disclaimer: They did state the expected delivery time on the select shipping screen, but I was under the impression that shipping from where they are to where I am just takes that long. This was not the case. I used the shipping time map from all the major carriers to see what average shipping times are, and then got curious and noticed I hadn't received a shipping notice yet. That's when I got ahold of them. Seriously upset that they just sit on my order for 2 or 3 days.

PS: It's almost 2pm now and still no shipping notice. The order was placed 4 days ago.

Just talked to them again. They'll box my stuff up today. In the future they advised me to call after my order to let them know i need it ASAP, and they'll get it processed faster. Fair enough. So let it be know that you need to follow up with MWB if you want your stuff on time. They are nice people though.

It has amazed me with Midwest that shipping is not done the same day or the next day when you order regardless of the shipping mode selected. They must be soooo busy. I worked in several different warehouse operations in my younger days in college, and no matter which place it was, we always shipped the days orders that day. One place, we were not allowed to leave until all orders were packaged and ready to ship, and we had to assembly the ordered "kits".

I've placed three orders with Midwest and all have taken at least 5 business days to leave the warehouse. If you are that busy, you have to have the money to hire more people. I now prefer paying the little extra to shop at my great LHBS.

Disclaimer: nothing I say is saying its your fault.

Too be fair I've had similar experiences with many other online shops (in general not just homebrew suppliers). Ordering on Fridays is never a great idea, no one is going to pick and pack your order on Friday and no one is working on the weekend (holiday season is a little different).

On Monday they roll in and probably have a stack of orders that need to be confirmed, then picked and packed. From what I could see from the physical location they have the parcel services pull right up to a loading dock and they load up all orders and ship them out. If a truck doesn't roll up on Monday they probably don't have the capability to transport the parcels to a UPS/Fedex location.

I've experienced your situation with every online retailer I've dealt with when I place and order on a Friday(even orders placed early Friday morning). It's definitely not just Midwest. If another retailer packed and shipped your order with regular shipping option on a Friday the same day you placed the order, that's definitely the exception not the rule.

Wow thats a long time. Well now you know. Call them and let them know it's urgent. That is IF you use them again. But yeah I used to work in a CVS warehouse for a summer and there was no delaying orders. That stuff left NOW lol.

Disclaimer: nothing I say is saying its your fault.

Too be fair I've had similar experiences with many other online shops (in general not just homebrew suppliers). Ordering on Fridays is never a great idea, no one is going to pick and pack your order on Friday and no one is working on the weekend (holiday season is a little different).

On Monday they roll in and probably have a stack of orders that need to be confirmed, then picked and packed. From what I could see from the physical location they have the parcel services pull right up to a loading dock and they load up all orders and ship them out. If a truck doesn't roll up on Monday they probably don't have the capability to transport the parcels to a UPS/Fedex location.

I've experienced your situation with every online retailer I've dealt with when I place and order on a Friday(even orders placed early Friday morning). It's definitely not just Midwest. If another retailer packed and shipped your order with regular shipping option on a Friday the same day you placed the order, that's definitely the exception not the rule.
I mean I knew it wasn't going to get shipped out on Friday. Never expected it. But I placed it at 2pm EST which means for them it was 1PM. If they couldn't get it done on Friday (which I was fine with) mine should have damn-well been on top of the pile for Monday. But yeah they admitted they hadn't even put my order together. It wasn't a case of ohh the truck didn't show up. Ohh well. It's on it's way and I should be brewing this weekend as planned.

fwiw, NB does exactly the same thing with their "i can wait" flat rate shipping. order on Friday...get it next Thursday

Wonder why these stores do these things? At least explain to people that this is what's happening. Like put a footnote by the saver shipping that mentions that orders won't get processed same day. I'm sure some would just say ok cool and wait for their stuff. Anyway I tracked my package and it's saying Friday with UPS. I'll be brewing Sunday. Saturday we're going to the beach. It's a great time to be alive.

Let me make sure I have it right. The shipping options presented to you estimated the delivery times and you were OK with them and ordered. The reason you started a new thread claiming "terrible shipping policies" is because you are not happy with how that delivery time is actually achieved? They are being reasonably transparent and you are being unreasonably demanding. They told you it would take that long and they are delivering on that promise yet you still complain? Should they pay you instead? They are a direct competitor of mine and I should be pleased whenever someone disparages "the other guy" but this is more a principal thing.

Let me make sure I have it right. The shipping options presented to you estimated the delivery times and you were OK with them and ordered. The reason you started a new thread claiming "terrible shipping policies" is because you are not happy with how that delivery time is actually achieved? They are being reasonably transparent and you are being unreasonably demanding. They told you it would take that long and they are delivering on that promise yet you still complain? Should they pay you instead? They are a direct competitor of mine and I should be pleased whenever someone disparages "the other guy" but this is more a principal thing.

Exactly this. Midwest did a good job of managing your expectations by giving a delivery date range (5/27-6/3) and you agreed to it by ordering from them. They haven't broken their end of the bargain but you are complaining because you know they can process it faster. They sure can, but they charge more for that service, but you didn't choose that service for your order.

BobbyM is a vendor here and won't say the obvious because he is a smart businessperson. I am under no obligation: You are being unreasonable and you just want something for nothing.

The other guys do shipping better? Simple...order from them.

Wow thats a long time. Well now you know. Call them and let them know it's urgent. That is IF you use them again. But yeah I used to work in a CVS warehouse for a summer and there was no delaying orders. That stuff left NOW lol.

I dunno, if it is urgent maybe you stop being a cheapskate and ante up for the better shipping. Just a thought.

You guys say it's unreasonable to expect a Friday order to be processed on Monday? No other major online retailer is dumb enough to sit on orders. They know people want their stuff. Like I said if the shipping system itself takes this long fine, but don't expect me to be happy if you just sit on my order. That's not OK in any market place. I don't care what you guys say. It's bad business.

they can process it faster. They sure can, but they charge more for that service, but you didn't choose that service for your order.
Absolute BS sir. I pay for shipping. I can pay for 2 day shipping sure. I don't want to pay EXTRA to have people that work there actually do their job in a reasonable time frame.

I would contact management and show them to this thread...
And stop buying from them...
My humble opinion...

You guys say it's unreasonable to expect a Friday order to be processed on Monday? No other major online retailer is dumb enough to sit on orders. They know people want their stuff. Like I said if the shipping system itself takes this long fine, but don't expect me to be happy if you just sit on my order. That's not OK in any market place. I don't care what you guys say. It's bad business.

I am saying it is unreasonable to expect an order before the stated delivery range (a range you agreed to by ordering, which you don't seem to want to acknowledge that).

If it was 6/5 and it hadn't shipped I would say you have a case to gripe about the shipping policy.

What they are likely doing is spacing out orders to normalize the work-load across weekly and monthly variations. I know you think it a simple manner of just hiring more people to get orders out faster, but it is a bit more complicated than that.

They did state the expected delivery time on the select shipping screen, but I was under the impression that shipping from where they are to where I am just takes that long. This was not the case. I used the shipping time map from all the major carriers to see what average shipping times are, and then got curious and noticed I hadn't received a shipping notice yet. That's when I got ahold of them. Seriously upset that they just sit on my order for 2 or 3 days.

They said 5/27-6/3 expected time. It should be 5/25-5/28 had it been processed on Monday.

At least explain to people that this is what's happening. Like put a footnote by the saver shipping that mentions that orders won't get processed same day.

So they told you that it would arrive in 7-14 days, you know that it only takes three days to actually move from point A to point B, and you're mad because they didn't tell you the extra time was a processing delay? What did you think the extra time was for? Did you think they hire mules for the slow shipping option?

Absolute BS sir. I pay for shipping. I can pay for 2 day shipping sure. I don't want to pay EXTRA to have people that work there actually do their job in a reasonable time frame.

The alternative viewpoint is that you would have likely received the order well before the 6/3 deadline quoted to you (under-promise but over-deliver). Additionally, they prioritized your order when you stated an urgency, at no cost to you.

You could just as easily argue excellent customer service despite the fact you made it clear that you are unhappy with delivery conditions you agreed to at the outset. A lesser business would have told you to stick it in your ear.

This is strikingly similar to those rants we see around Christmas where people order the "it" toy at the last minute and flip out when UPS doesn't "do their jobs" and deliver it on Dec. 24. You're ordering ingredients right before Memorial Day weekend, when tons of people are also doing the exact same thing. They're probably processing a huge volume of orders in the order they were received, and you just have to wait your turn. They're not sitting around twiddling their thumbs just to piss you off.

They promised to get it to you by 5/27 at the earliest and they're doing that.

Some of you are being a little harsh right now. When your business model is mail order, you would think that a company would pride itself on fulfillment and getting your orders out on a timely manner. All three of my orders from Midwest arrived latter then promised and the only reason was they left the warehouse late. I can post the emailed trouble ticket from Midwest customer service if you like on my FastFerment Conical order. It was amazing how it was shipped immediately after I asked them why it hasn't shipped yet.

No reasonable person would expect an order placed at 5 PM on a Friday night to get fulfilled that day but by Monday evening you would think that if the company wanted your business in the future, they would get your order out. But this is America and we get to choose where we spend our money and where we don't. In my case, I have given Midwest my money three times and I have been underwhelmed by their service. I choose to no longer spend my money there. I can get what I need from my LHBS when I need and want it.

Some of you are being a little harsh right now. When your business model is mail order, you would think that a company would pride itself on fulfillment and getting your orders out on a timely manner. All three of my orders from Midwest arrived latter then promised and the only reason was they left the warehouse late. I can post the emailed trouble ticket from Midwest customer service if you like on my FastFerment Conical order. It was amazing how it was shipped immediately after I asked them why it hasn't shipped yet.

No reasonable person would expect an order placed at 5 PM on a Friday night to get fulfilled that day but by Monday evening you would think that if the company wanted your business in the future, they would get your order out. But this is America and we get to choose where we spend our money and where we don't. In my case, I have given Midwest my money three times and I have been underwhelmed by their service. I choose to no longer spend my money there. I can get what I need from my LHBS when I need and want it.

I could argue that that OP is being a little harsh about what constitutes a reasonable shipping policy, especially one that is disclosed to them before purchase.

I'm not defending MidWest or its policy even, I'm pointing out where OPs argument falls short. I fully agree with the idea of voting with your wallet. But I don't think it is fair of the OP to agree to MidWest's shipping policy, expecting anything more than what was stated, then complain about it on an internet forum.

All i was saying was that their policy did not explain why the shipping times were so late or so long. They do it differently from the other say 95% of e-stores, which i suppose is fine, it's just that if you are different, let people know that orders aren't processed right away. Like I said i don't mind the waiting, but waiting just because they choose not to process it is not OK with me. As far as Midwest is concerned, I worked things out with them. I now know that I need to specifically ask them to process my order right away which they are happy to do. That said, I had to talk to them twice just to get my stuff shipped. It shipped yesterday, and the impression I got from them is that had i not talked to them yesterday, it would have just been shipped today. So if i had not said anything, my Friday order wouldn't have left until Wednesday. Just doesn't seem kosher you know? But yes I would buy from them again knowing what I do now. The products are still quality.

PS: I didn't agree to their policy. I didn't know what it was until I talked to them.

Most retailers usually call this practice "expedited shipping" and similarly charge a fee for it. It isn't simply a revenue stream. You pay to have them push your order ahead of everyone else's, get them to pick and pack ahead of everyone else. Maybe even shuttle your package(s) to the shipping agent later that day rather than waiting for the routine pick up time the following day (or maybe 2 days later). You are paying to have the staff depart from their normal routine to handle your case. It isn't like the boss lets them all goof off until you cough up the cash for the expedited shipping. You pay for the privilege of cutting the line, to a degree. Maybe Midwest shouldn't make it seem like they are doing you a favor by slowing it down on purpose, because that isn't what it is.
Yes, I am patient when I order online. I don't pay for expedited shipping too frequently (maybe during the holidays?). When I find myself in a hurry for homebrew gear or ingredients, I might well drive an hour or so to visit Bobby rather than expedite shipping for an online order.

See but I consider expedited shipping 2nd day delivery or next day. If they chose to process those early in the day to get them out and do mine near the end that would still be ok with me as long as all the orders get processed that day. I just see no excuse for the 2-3 days lag time. I know some of you will disagree with me on that point, and that's fine. No hard feelings to anyone about this. Just wanted to vent a little and share the "trick" that was passed on to me.

By the way I would like to point out that Midwest works on weekends as well. I know freight carriers don't do weekend pickups most of the time, but at least have my stuff ready to go for Monday. It's a small order.

Before clicking place order did it give expected delivery dates?

Yes it did but like I said it wasn't explained why it took so long. It doesn't NEED to take as long as it does, it's just how they make it happen, and that's what i take issue with.

All i was saying was that their policy did not explain why the shipping times were so late or so long. They do it differently from the other say 95% of e-stores, which i suppose is fine, it's just that if you are different, let people know that orders aren't processed right away. Like I said i don't mind the waiting, but waiting just because they choose not to process it is not OK with me. As far as Midwest is concerned, I worked things out with them. I now know that I need to specifically ask them to process my order right away which they are happy to do. That said, I had to talk to them twice just to get my stuff shipped. It shipped yesterday, and the impression I got from them is that had i not talked to them yesterday, it would have just been shipped today. So if i had not said anything, my Friday order wouldn't have left until Wednesday. Just doesn't seem kosher you know? But yes I would buy from them again knowing what I do now. The products are still quality.

PS: I didn't agree to their policy. I didn't know what it was until I talked to them.

You agreed to the conditions of the sale by clicking "buy", the "why" behind their shipping policy is inconsequential. They promised you a bill of goods delivered by a certain date in return for your money. It doesn't matter if how they run their business is different form CVS or other e-stores, that is what YOU agreed to. End of story. You don't have case unless they failed to deliver either the bill of goods or by the specified date.

See but I consider expedited shipping 2nd day delivery or next day. If they chose to process those early in the day to get them out and do mine near the end that would still be ok with me as long as all the orders get processed that day. I just see no excuse for the 2-3 days lag time. I know some of you will disagree with me on that point, and that's fine. No hard feelings to anyone about this. Just wanted to vent a little and share the "trick" that was passed on to me.

By the way I would like to point out that Midwest works on weekends as well. I know freight carriers don't do weekend pickups most of the time, but at least have my stuff ready to go for Monday. It's a small order.

So no matter what, its expected that all online orders placed between Friday and Monday should be processed before the end of the day on Monday? Even if the employees have to stay till midnight to pull and pack all those orders?

All of the grains you buy, are measured by hand as far as I can tell they all aren't prepackaged on the shelves(unless you are buying bulk bags). They aren't just walking through aisles grabbing the packages and throwing them in the box for you. If its summer and you bought liquid yeast, they cannot pick that until the last moment before shipping and they have to throw an ice pack in with it.

Sorry but you are going into the realm of being unreasonable. If there were 20-30 orders ahead of you, they probably weren't able to get to your order on Monday or even Tuesday. MWB is *always* busy from my experiences being there, online ordering is going to be much higher volume than in person purchasing. It's highly doubtful considering the holiday season coming *and* that there were sales going on, that you were only the one of a few who placed orders.

So no matter what, its expected that all online orders placed between Friday and Monday should be processed before the end of the day on Monday? Even if the employees have to stay till midnight to pull and pack all those orders?

All of the grains you buy, are measured by hand as far as I can tell they all aren't prepackaged on the shelves(unless you are buying bulk bags). They aren't just walking through aisles grabbing the packages and throwing them in the box for you. If its summer and you bought liquid yeast, they cannot pick that until the last moment before shipping and they have to throw an ice pack in with it.

Sorry but you are going into the realm of being unreasonable. If there were 20-30 orders ahead of you, they probably weren't able to get to your order on Monday or even Tuesday.

Ok but that's why I'm saying process in the order received. If they are THAT backed up that an order placed on Friday wouldn't be gotten to until Tuesday or Wednesday then they need more help! I understand that they can't ship on weekends, but at least have like one guy getting caught up on orders or SOMETHING! Do they just have one guy there answering phones on weekends? My order also contained no grains. Just LME, dry yeast, hops, and priming sugar. Nothing fancy. No weighing. No liquid yeast.

Yes it did but like I said it wasn't explained why it took so long. It doesn't NEED to take as long as it does, it's just how they make it happen, and that's what i take issue with.

You agreed to the conditions of the sale by clicking "buy", the "why" behind their shipping policy is inconsequential. They promised you a bill of goods delivered by a certain date in return for your money. It doesn't matter if how they run their business is different form CVS or other e-stores, that is what YOU agreed to. End of story. You don't have case unless they failed to deliver either the bill of goods or by the specified date.

This. They clearly explained when you can expect to have your items delivered. If you needed your items before xxx date then you should understand you need to pay for the faster shipping. Expecting faster delivery without paying for expedited shipping is just silly.

And yes I will concede that maybe I'm being unreasonable with Midwest, but it's only because other companies have "spoiled" the consumer. I'm not talking about just brewing stores. I mean these days they're working on drone deliveries, one hour deliveries, and I can use Amazon Prime Now to get fresh and frozen foods within an hour or two from our local warehouse. I know it sounds stupidly opulent, but waiting 3 days just for someone to get my stuff in a box and ready to ship just seems slow these days. But trust me I would still gladly support my LHBS or Midwest over Amazon.

This. They clearly explained when you can expect to have your items delivered. If you needed your items before xxx date then you should understand you need to pay for the faster shipping. Expecting faster delivery without paying for expedited shipping is just silly.
I guess you're just not picking up what I'm putting down. UPS states that their slowest shipping from there to here takes 3 days, and take $10 for the 8 lbs or so that it was. I paid for the shipping, assuming the processing and handling would be done in a reasonable amount of time. Your $$$$ for shipping pays for the transit. The processing and handling is totally separate of that.

Ok but that's why I'm saying process in the order received. If they are THAT backed up that an order placed on Friday wouldn't be gotten to until Tuesday or Wednesday then they need more help! I understand that they can't ship on weekends, but at least have like one guy getting caught up on orders or SOMETHING! Do they just have one guy there answering phones on weekends? My order also contained no grains. Just LME, dry yeast, hops, and priming sugar. Nothing fancy. No weighing. No liquid yeast.

True, your order may not take a long time to pull and pack.

But... this is a big but here. There was a 15% off sale from 05/19 to the 22nd. Online and in-store sale. And, to top it off, the sale fell on a weekend, starting on a Thursday and went through a Friday. Friday is pay day, people see a 15% off sale on or over a pay day weekend, they might splurge a little and buy more than they maybe needed. I went to the physical location in Minneapolis on Saturday (the 21st) and they were VERY busy, I saw one guy buying 6 all-grain kits, I myself got 4lbs of flaked wheat, 1lb of flaked corn, 1lb of golden naked oats, 2oz of Spalt, French oak cubes, 3 packages of bottle caps, 2 3lb packages of DME, my order if I placed it online, if I put it in before you, would've probably taken a decent chunk of time to pack.

And yes I will concede that maybe I'm being unreasonable with Midwest, but it's only because other companies have "spoiled" the consumer. I'm not talking about just brewing stores. I mean these days they're working on drone deliveries, one hour deliveries, and I can use Amazon Prime Now to get fresh and frozen foods within an hour or two from our local warehouse. I know it sounds stupidly opulent, but waiting 3 days just for someone to get my stuff in a box and ready to ship just seems slow these days. But trust me I would still gladly support my LHBS or Midwest over Amazon.

I am in your camp and I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. I have shared your experience. All three of my orders arrived after the date agreed upon and it was not because of the shipping company. It is because Midwest sat on the order. A brewing friend of mine has had the same experience.

In the case of my last order, which was a FastFermentor, all they did was slap a shipping label on the FastFermentor box. No reason why they waited until I contacted them to find out why my order had not shipped.

I guess you're just not picking up what I'm putting down. UPS states that their slowest shipping from there to here takes 3 days, and take $10 for the 8 lbs or so that it was. I paid for the shipping, assuming the processing and handling would be done in a reasonable amount of time. Your $$$$ for shipping pays for the transit. The processing and handling is totally separate of that.

If the order arrives after the quoted date range then I would say and assume most would agree there is a valid gripe. If it arrives between the dates they quoted, no matter how long they take to package and ship it they have held up their end of the agreement of which you agreed to when clicking "Buy".

What is the latest date they quoted you?

True, your order may not take a long time to pull and pack.

But... this is a big but here. There was a 15% off sale from 05/19 to the 22nd. Online and in-store sale. And, to top it off, the sale fell on a weekend, starting on a Thursday and went through a Friday. Friday is pay day, people see a 15% off sale on or over a pay day weekend, they might splurge a little and buy more than they maybe needed. I went to the physical location in Minneapolis on Saturday (the 21st) and they were VERY busy, I saw one guy buying 6 all-grain kits, I myself got 4lbs of flaked wheat, 1lb of flaked corn, 1lb of golden naked oats, 2oz of Spalt, French oak cubes, 3 packages of bottle caps, 2 3lb packages of DME, my order if I placed it online, if I put it in before you, would've probably taken a decent chunk of time to pack.
I mean knowing this now makes me cut them some more slack, but it's still their core policy which kinda sucks.

I am in your camp and I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. I have shared your experience. All three of my orders arrived after the date agreed upon and it was not because of the shipping company. It is because Midwest sat on the order. A brewing friend of mine has had the same experience.

In the case of my last order, which was a FastFermentor, all they did was slap a shipping label on the FastFermentor box. No reason why they waited until I contacted them to find out why my order had not shipped.

No I still will admit I'm spoiled by recent years of shipping progress.I mean I ship aircraft parts all the time and including big bulky things like 115 pound tires, and i always tell them ship it slow as she goes and they tell me oh ok it'll be there in two days. lol. Like dang you guys are fast. It's from Richmond VA to Milwaukee WI. Fed-Ex, UPS, and USPS have amazingly fast systems in place. The world is a small place these days. I know Midwest is a smaller company but in business you really need to adapt to survive. This may be the way everyone does it, but it doesn't stop them from doing things better.

You do realize that these items are made into a recipe kit, correct? (You said you ordered a recipe kit in your first post) Last time I was in MW retail I had talked with the employees about how they make the kits, and it turns out that these recipe kits are made pretty much to order.

Sounds like you received your items within the range of stated delivery and your recipe kit was packed fresh just for your shipment. I see nothing askew here.

If the order arrives after the quoted date range then I would say and assume most would agree there is a valid gripe. If it arrives between the dates they quoted, no matter how long they take to package and ship it they have held up their end of the agreement of which you agreed to when clicking "Buy".

What is the latest date they quoted you?

Hmm I think the latest date was 6/1. So knowing that all carriers deliver on Saturdays as well, Midwest was giving themselves over a week just to get my stuff in a box. Doesn't that seem like a messed up time range to give people?

Latest posts

Back