Midwest Beer Officianados Beer Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddlersGreen87

Reaction score
My parents will be coming down from Indiana spending Christmas with my wife and I in Georgia. It's been 5 years since I last lived in Indy. My mom, being the saint that she is, will be bringing me a treasure trove of beers from the Midwest that don't make their way to GA.

My question to you all is, since I've been gone for 5 years, and my tastes in beer have grown tremendously what else do I need to add to the list?

Feel free to leave 3 Floyds off your recommendations as I've got that one covered. I'm really curious what things you all find on your shelves that I've not heard of or can't get down here.

So far I've got 3 Floyds: Anything (to include the staples, ZombieDust, Gumball Head, etc). That's about all I got so I'm hoping for some input of things I'm not familiar with.:mug:

Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts are out now - hard to find and snatched up fast, but worth a look.
Three Floyds for sure.... put Dreadnaught and Robert the Bruce Scotch ale on the three floyds list if you can get them.
Bells? Two Hearted Ale is always great if it is not something you can get down there. In cans if possible.

SunKing is a brewery in Indy that has won many awards and the beers are just plain AWESOME. They currently have three main brews available only in Indiana liquor stores. But other varieties are available in the INDY area.

Wee mac Scottish ale has been my fav with the cooler weather and craving a more malt forward beer. They only come in 4 pack cans but those cans are a full pint.

http://www.sunkingbrewing.com

Upland out of Bloomington is widely available in Indy and they do good work. The dragonfly IPA is good.

Heck, the way I figure it, ask her to bring anything local. the reality is, it will all be beer.

Definitely recommend the Suinking. WeeMac is solid and readily available canned. Avoid the Cream ale and the Osiris as those are not my faves. Love their limited releases. Those are always worth picking up.

Other good brands... Triton and Flat 12. There are more but not many sell at liquor stores. Most others are available as growler fills and at local bars. Speaking of that.... Bier brewery does damn fine work... they are on the NE side of town.

Great Lakes - Christmas Ale, Blackout Stout, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
Bells - Best Brown, Two Hearted
3 Floyds - Robert the Bruce
Fat Heads - Head Hunter IPA
Jackie O's - Mystic Mama IPA, Firefly Amber
Founders - Dirty Bastard, Centennial IPA

If she is going to three Floyd's in Munster, then have her go to Gary Indiana for 18th Street Brewery. They are the up and comers and are getting big hype. I've had a couple of their beers and they are excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If she is going to three Floyd's in Munster, then have her go to Gary Indiana for 18th Street Brewery. They are the up and comers and are getting big hype. I've had a couple of their beers and they are excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No she's not going any further than a few local liquor stores that have decent beer selections. I'd be a terrible son if I asked her to drive 3+ hours each way just to get me a few beers. I'll tell her to keep an eye out for them though if they hit store shelves before Christmas.

Bells is available down here with a great selection. Definitely a good recommendation, keep em coming. I'll mention the SunKing.

Latest posts

Back