Midnight Wheat Require Conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkbarnes82

Reaction score
Making a CDA and trying to minimize any roast character. Ok to just add the midnight wheat during the last 10 mins of the mash/re-circulation or is conversion required?

Thanks.

I add all my roasted malts at the beginning of the mash, just as I do with any other malt. I know some folks add it later, so it does not add bitterness, astringency and most probably so it doesn't have a great impact on mash pH. I never had this issue.

So add it whenever it suits your needs, palate and brewing process. The result should be pretty much the same, although I believe you get much more character mashing it.

Starch conversion isn't really necessary as there isn't really anything left to convert. Could you potentially gain a tiny bit of fermentables from it? Maybe, but it would be negligible at best.

Thanks for the response.

Specifically wondering if starch conversion is required.

No, as there is no starch left to convert. At this color level everything has been reduced to inert ashes during roasting and the only thing you can extract is color and flavour, no fermentables whatsoever.

You don't need to mash midnight wheat, however......
There are still some components (starch?) that can be converted in the mash, that won't be converted if steeped, thus you'll improve efficiency by adding midnight wheat to the mash rather than steeping (it's listed as 33 or 34ppg, but this can only be realised if mashing).
Steeped grains are less fermentable than mashed grains, so steeping gives a higher FG (lower attenuation) than mashing. This is because any longer chain sugars and dextrins present in the specialty grain can be cut into shorter chain (fermentable) sugars in the mash by the enzymes in the mash. This would be very minimal with midnight wheat though (it's more applicable to caramel/crystal malts).

Latest posts

Back