Michigan Hop Growers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannedry

Reaction score
This will be the start of year 2 on the 20 rhizomes I planted last spring (10 varieties, 2 each). Of these 20, 5 never came up at all last year, leaving me with 15. I will pre-order some more rhizomes to replace these... but last year I never assembled my trellis system... I just kind of let the plants do their own thing... but my question is when do these bad boys start to pop up above ground in the spring? Just wondering when I should get my trellis system up.

Thanks!

:mug:

I would have put up a basic trellis last year, to get the plants off the ground. They can be susceptible to fungus if they don't get enough air movement to help keep them dry. Plus, it lowers the number of bugs that will come in contact with them. But anyway, I usually put my trellis up right after the plants show about a foot of growth. I was late last year and regretted it. Having the trellis up early simply means that you can start training the plants as soon as they are ready, instead of having to untangle them and training them while trying to not break them in half.

It's entirely possible that one or more of those that didn't grow last year will come up this year, but don't expect it. They are generally hardy plants and even if they are late, they usually show pretty quickly and get some growth.

For second year plants, I'd count on 15-20 foot plants and some usable flowers, especially with that many plants. I planted 3 cascades 3 years ago, and the second year got enough to brew with and some left over. Last year, more than I could use and will probably give some away again this coming year.

I would have put up a basic trellis last year, to get the plants off the ground. They can be susceptible to fungus if they don't get enough air movement to help keep them dry. Plus, it lowers the number of bugs that will come in contact with them. But anyway, I usually put my trellis up right after the plants show about a foot of growth. I was late last year and regretted it. Having the trellis up early simply means that you can start training the plants as soon as they are ready, instead of having to untangle them and training them while trying to not break them in half.

It's entirely possible that one or more of those that didn't grow last year will come up this year, but don't expect it. They are generally hardy plants and even if they are late, they usually show pretty quickly and get some growth.

For second year plants, I'd count on 15-20 foot plants and some usable flowers, especially with that many plants. I planted 3 cascades 3 years ago, and the second year got enough to brew with and some left over. Last year, more than I could use and will probably give some away again this coming year.

Thanks for the advice... I'm very interested to see how they do on year 2. But when do they generally start to break ground? April? May?

i planted 5 hop plants and they started growing fantastic until mid summer.my plant started dying from the ground up. not enough water or was direct water not a good idea? please help as i hope they return this spring....

grumpybrewer my guess is that they didn't get enough water. They are a thirsty plant.

Also they are really hearty so don't be surprised to see them pop up soon.

Back