Michigan container deposit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckinin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone from Michigan who can answer a question about bottle/can deposits? I'm on vacation here from out of state and unsure if my bottles will be taken for recycling so I'm going to bring them for deposit refund. I also have some pint metal cans. Is there a similar deposit refund on them? They aren't labeled like the glass bottles...

Yeah there's still a deposit/refund on beer and pop cans.... it should say on the label in small print.... But not on a brewery's "Crowler" cans.... But Pint and 12 ounce cans are still worth 10 cents.

So where in my state are you?

Thanks!

I'm in Harbor Springs for the week. Headed to the UP to Tahquamenon Falls State Park tomorrow.

I was hoping to pick up some Old Nation beer sometime this week but I haven't seen it anywhere so far.

Thanks!

I'm in Harbor Springs for the week. Headed to the UP to Tahquamenon Falls State Park tomorrow.

I was hoping to pick up some Old Nation beer sometime this week but I haven't seen it anywhere so far.

I've seen Old Nation even in my tiny UP grocery store, so you should find some if you're near a grocery store with a decent (not BMC) beer selection. I have to say that the ones I've tried have had an off-flavor, so I won't drink them again but they do have them here.

All of the cans/bottles you paid a deposit for are returnable, however you have to take them to a place that sells that brand- so it has to go back to the store you bought them from if there are any craft beers in the mix. A lot of grocery stores and gas stations only sell a few brands, and only take those back.

I've seen Old Nation even in my tiny UP grocery store, so you should find some if you're near a grocery store with a decent (not BMC) beer selection. I have to say that the ones I've tried have had an off-flavor, so I won't drink them again but they do have them here.

All of the cans/bottles you paid a deposit for are returnable, however you have to take them to a place that sells that brand- so it has to go back to the store you bought them from if there are any craft beers in the mix. A lot of grocery stores and gas stations only sell a few brands, and only take those back.

Thanks! Interesting rules. I bought a bomber at a local brewery today. Does that mean that Meijer probably won't take it? I won't get worked up over 10 cents but don't want to look like an idiot at the store....

I looked at the IGA in Harbor Springs and Meijer in Petoskey. Both had decent craft sections but no Old Nation. There's a bottle shop I'll probably check out yet this week. Maybe I'll have better luck there. So many people seem to rave about it, I figure I should give it a try, but I appreciate the heads up on it. I won't feel bad if I think there's an off taste.

If the bottle has the MI 10 cents on it, it is eligible for a deposit refund at a meijer, and if it has a barcode, you can use the automated machine. If it doesn't have either, you can probably get a manager to manually do it, but this is 10 cents.

An aside, I remember seeing people use EBT to buy carts full of the cheapest cases of whatever they could find, dump the liquid in the meijer parking lot, then bolt back in to get the cash refund. Every once in a while MSP would stop a semi with cans from out of state etc etc.

Enjoy Tahquamenon falls, the water should be warm enough for a swim. The restaurant near the falls (in the park) had a decent selection of craft brews too. But this was 15 years ago.

Latest posts

Back