Mich. teacher gives 5th graders non-alcoholic beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pass AOL HQ on my way to my favorite local brewery and on the way to brew club meetings at a brewery under construction

First, although I seriously doubt an NA beer will do any harm to the kids, the teacher should have known better than to give a controlled substance to minors.

"Let's see, I need to have a drivers license and prove that I am over 21 to buy this Odoull's, but it's probably ok to just let my kids sample it in class..."

Again, I am not arguing that the "beer" would cause any ill effects, but this guy needs to let the kids' parents decide if and when the kids get to drink alcohol.

First, although I seriously doubt an NA beer will do any harm to the kids, the teacher should have known better than to give a controlled substance to minors.

"Let's see, I need to have a drivers license and prove that I am over 21 to buy this Odoull's, but it's probably ok to just let my kids sample it in class..."

Again, I am not arguing that the "beer" would cause any ill effects, but this guy needs to let the kids' parents decide if and when the kids get to drink alcohol.

Agreed, that's a seriously bone-headed move right there.

Two thoughts:

1. It was a seriously bad idea.

2. The Germans do have "Kinderbier."

Kinderbier is a completely non-acoholic malt beer. There is 0% alcohol in it, unlike with non-alcoholic beers which have a minor alcohol content even post extraction.

It is referred to as kinderbier, but that's just because in Germany...beer is life.
You can drink beer, no hard liquor, in a pub up to 12 at night from 16-18, after 18 you drink what you want.

It's a different society really, if you consider that Americans don't trust people to drink until they're 21 in most states.

When I was in school, we were served beer with some alcohol (not much though 1.2%) That is when I was 12 years old.

In Belgium I guess we have a more liberal attitude towards drinking age. At the time there was none. I believe that now you need to be 16 to drink in Belgium.

I remember the first time I came live in the states, I was 20 years old and it was a shock that I couln't order a beer. Fortunately a fake id fixed that problem rather quickly.

let me guess this is what he drives to school everyday

1259463626469.jpg

It was foolish from a legal standpoint to me. It was in a school setting for historical perspective. Although not ale & too carbonated to teach about ale in medieval times. With so little alcohol in it,if it were my kid,I'd ask how it tasted nowadays. Hell,I literally cut teeth on grandma's keg charred moon. I've never had a batch that good since. :( It's part of our family culture,being German Slovak Apaches.:mug:

If it were against the law to wear a top hat or something equally ridiculous, I would expect the guy teaching my kids to not wear one in class. If he was aware that what he was doing was both against school policy and against the law and did it anyway, it shows bad judgement and was the wrong thing to do. School discipline up to termination and civil consequences up to a fine sounds about right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back