Metallic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerclone

Reaction score
My pale ale has taken on a metallic taste of several weeks in the bottle. Is this the water? What else causes the taste?

I associate metallic flavors with astringency, so it could be a result of over-sparging or scorched extract. It's possible that it could be an off-flavor from stressed yeast, as well. What was your recipe and process?

From John Palmer-http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

"Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours."

My kettle is ss so I'm not sure the same issues apply. I was thinking water issues but have not tasted this other batches as of yet. This batch was an extract batch and it was my first batch. I guess I will continue to let it bottle condition and see what happens.

What did you use for water? My earlier brews using unfiltered tap water had a metallic taste that went away after I installed a filter.

I used tap water. I am suspecting the problem is right there. I may look into a filter of buying water.

Does your tap water taste metallic?

I'm certainly not guaranteeing this is your problem, but a filter won't hurt. The one I have I got on Amazon for about $40. It installs in 30 minutes (in-line, under the sink), only needs a replacement every 6 months and barely slows the water flow at all.

I swear my mouse has a mind of it's own... I didn't mean to quote Denny there!

That's why I'm confused. I must be something else wrong in the process. I will have to see if any of my other brews have the same taste.

Just to add, I haven't noticed this taste at the time of bottling. Is it possible my bottles or the caps are contributing the taste?

I had beers from a commercial brewery that were rusty under the cap. I suppose anything is possible.

Unlikely, but possible.

Agreed. Most caps available to us homebrewers have a covering across the entire cap that is the same material as the "gasket" that makes the seal with the bottle. Some very cheap caps are on the market that do not have that covering and can cause this issue. There is a small local brewery here currently suffering from this as the beer is good from the tap and has a metallic aftertaste from the bottle and the cap is as described above.

Back