Metal detector advice, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a metal detector this spring and have been doing a little bit of research on metal detectors. What I have found out is, I know nothing about metal detecting or metal detectors.

I have set my budget at $250-$300. Any one have any units they would recommend, if so why?
Any models I should stay away from?

Thanks,

:cask:

Garrett always seemed to be the leader. I know they sell into the professional (LEO) and security markets, so I figure they know what they are doing.

I used to have all the catalogs. I never bought a good one though, just the entry level, which I don't have any more.

If you have lakes around you, you might consider one that can work underwater. This probably means it won't work well over normal earth though.

For treasure hunters, there is a lot of undiscovered swimming areas that are not used anymore. My dad had a buddy back in the 80's or 90's that bought one of the first underwater detectors and he found so much old jewelry in the Ohio lakes that he quit his job and started doing it full time. Might be a myth though, my pops was fond of the stories.

If you have lakes around you, you might consider one that can work underwater. This probably means it won't work well over normal earth though.

For treasure hunters, there is a lot of undiscovered swimming areas that are not used anymore. My dad had a buddy back in the 80's or 90's that bought one of the first underwater detectors and he found so much old jewelry in the Ohio lakes that he quit his job and started doing it full time. Might be a myth though, my pops was fond of the stories.

Thanks,

I do indeed live in the heart of the Finger Lakes region of New York State. I would love a unit that at least has a submersible coil. Though I doubt I will be doing any diving for lost treasure, I would like to be able to look along the local creeks and lake shores.

I'm in Cohocton, roughly 16 miles from the south end of Honeoye, 12 miles from Canandaugia, 12 miles from Hemlock, and 16 miles from Canadice. Like I said, right in the heart of them, the western end anyway. Great place to live.

:D

I know that area. I used to spend some summers on honeoye lake, grandparents had a house on it. My aunt lives in canandaigua. Yes, very pretty part of n.y.
Wine country

Latest posts

Back