Men: Getting snipped. Yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After having twins (now 4 years old) and a baby boy last year, we are done. Almost 40 and we're good with 3. Glad to have gotten snipped. It sucked and at the time I thought I made a huge mistake. Even a month or so afterwards I just didn't feel right (mostly in my head). Its now been 9+ months and no regrets, no perceivable side affects, no worries.

They gave me a vicodin pre-op of all things. Those make me jumpy haha, but that's just me.

Post-op test drives were not an issue or I don't remember them anyway. However, I did not feel like going for a drive for a week at least.

Good luck and just take it easy, no lifting. Honestly my biggest battle with the whole thing was keeping my twin daughters from jumping into my lap which for some reason was the greatest thing ever to them at that time. Guessing because they were told not to ha.

I did it after our third kid (I wanted to stop at one)..I took the pill they gave me and drank about 4 stouts and popped in a stick of gum before getting my wife to drive me to the doctor to have the surgery.

Was a very low risk/pain procedure and would recommend it to anyone when they are done with kids. Also got me out of work for a week which was nice.
:fro:

I've had mine about two years ago. I have two kids, so it was a no brainer for me. I don't think I could recommend doing it, if you don't have kids and your contemplating having kids in the future or not.

For me, no regrets what so ever. Matter of fact, "doing the deed" seems better too (not that it was ever bad or anything). If anything, the uhm.... "finishes" seem to be more intense.

My apologizes for the TMI, but me getting snipped has been a much more positive experience than I was expecting. I feel like I'm in my late teens again.

not planning on grandkids? or just not changing theirs?

I would love grand kids. Maybe in 20 years I will feel different about changing poop, but for now i plan to send them over to sit on grandma's lap when there is something lurking in kid's diaper. Selfish? Yup, but I put up with enough s**t on a daily basis (wastewater treatment plants).

I'm happily child-free (not sure if I've mentioned that or not elsewhere in the forum) and fully intend to stay that way, as does my wife. I just turned 40, so even if I did change my mind, it's a little late in life, practically speaking, to even consider starting a journey down the parenthood road. A (fellow child-free) buddy of mine got snipped last year and loudly sings the praises of getting it done. If it were painless, guaranteed, and no-risk, I'd already have booked an appointment.

That said, I'm still considering booking the appointment, but I wanted to hear from others who've had it done (or considered it and decided not to). I'm looking for whether or not it was worth it, what kind of complications or long-term side-effects you've suffered, whether or not it was effective, diminished your sex drive, whether or not it was a long recovery, a painful operation, that sort of stuff. I'm interested in your experiences to help me work up the courage to pick up my phone and book the appointment.

Best friggen $800 bucks I've ever spent!

Had mine done last Christmas. 2 and out for us. No more kids and no more pill/IUD/hormones for the wife. Painless, no side effects. The "No scalpel procedure" is fo-shizzle... or was that "sizzle?" I dunno. I was on something that made me loopy at the time.

I thought 2 were enough but SWMBO wanted four kids. We decided to compromise on three, but ended up with twins (funny how SWMBOs always get their way). With four kids under 4.5, it was a really easy decision for me. Of course, I developed a scrotal hematoma (don't do an image search) which lasted for 6-7 months. It was quite painful, but even after all that, I still think it was well worth it.

I thought 2 were enough but SWMBO wanted four kids. We decided to compromise on three, but ended up with twins (funny how SWMBOs always get their way). With four kids under 4.5, it was a really easy decision for me. Of course, I developed a scrotal hematoma (don't do an image search) which lasted for 6-7 months. It was quite painful, but even after all that, I still think it was well worth it.

Funny, "we" wanted 2 kids, had twins first, she meant pregnant twice, now have 3 haha. Bummer about your complication.

Anyone know

a) how much it ends up being with your typical high-deductible health care plan (I'm thru United)? I guess that's probably too vague a question, but figured I'd shoot (thread pun intended). I assume much like Lasik was, even though it's an elective surgery, I can still pay with funds from my HSA.

b) are places pretty strict on allowing you to go through with the surgery based on age? I'm 34. I 100.00% want no kids.

Don't know about high deductible plans, but with mine it was free. I think they assume there are savings on the backside with no more kids. Yes you can pay out of an HSA for it, no different than paying for birth control pills.

My ins. Health alliance covered it all. Cheaper to get you snipped than pay for delivery. Got it done 15yrs ago. Don't remember getting valium before but after the Dr. told my wife at the time, go to pharmacy and fill this vicoden script,pick up a 12 pack of beer and put him on the couch. The beer is for swelling, better than an ice pack. Then looked at me and said you can keep from getting in trouble ,right? I'm sure not ama approved but it worked. I was very happy and pain free!! Doesn't seem to be any side effects I'm 50 and divorced and it works better than at 18. Not so quick on the draw lol

Do you research on the technique used. [...]
So just do your research and have your doctor explain the process that they use! The less invasive procedure that they use the less pain and faster healing you will have.

He uses the No-Needle-No-Scalpel technique that is supposed to be the least-invasive technique possible.

Do you research on the technique used. My doctor spent an hour and a half doing my procedure. He made sure to separate the blood vessels and did not use stitches on the outside to avoid discomfort. To seal the very small opening, all he did was put a cold washcloth down there which contracted the skin and closed the wound. Pretty neat! He also gave me a numbing cream to apply 45 min. before the appointment to numb the area. Overall a very positive, pain free procedure. The healing process was fast and relativity pain free too.

He was talking about other doctor's ways of doing the procedure and one of them actually cut a hold big enough on each side to remove the testicles during the procedure and put them back afterwards. They also didn't separate the blood vessels which left a lot of bruising and bleeding.

So just do your research and have your doctor explain the process that they use! The less invasive procedure that they use the less pain and faster healing you will have.

Yeah...I'm not sure where you got your info from. The bit about pulling the entire testicle out is almost certainly wrong. Your nutsack would look like frankenstein post-op with all the stitches. They do pull out and isolate a section of the vas deferens...but that is like a 1mm diameter tube. Also, many incisions don't need stitches as all, that they only tend to be 1-2mm long.

Also-1-1/2 hours!?!....did they wash your hair and give you a massage too? I was out in less in 15-20 minutes. I was in and out so quickly my wife thought they had canceled my surgery.

Anyone know

a) how much it ends up being with your typical high-deductible health care plan (I'm thru United)? I guess that's probably too vague a question, but figured I'd shoot (thread pun intended). I assume much like Lasik was, even though it's an elective surgery, I can still pay with funds from my HSA.

b) are places pretty strict on allowing you to go through with the surgery based on age? I'm 34. I 100.00% want no kids.

a) pretty sure the coverage will be listed right in your health insurance coverage docs. There are like 100K procedures done a year.

b) Part of the pre-op is the doctor asks you why you want it done. If you were 23, no kids and not in an LTR they would probably recommend you wait, but if you 34, in an LTR and saying kids aren't for you they will probably be ok with it.

The deep, dark question you would want to ask yourself is if you ever see yourself in a new relationship and wanting to have children with someone else. The vasectomy reversals are possible, but it much more invasive and aren't 100% effective.

Anyone know

I too am on united health care. Mine was only $160, but i had already met my family deductible so they covered most of it. Granted mine went horrible right from the start, im still glad that i got it done. We have two kids and are both 25, so it seemed the be the safest option. She was a high risk pregnancy both times and they weren't willing to do her while she was getting the c-section so it was my turn lol.
When I went in for my pre-op all they did was take my weight etc, doc came in asked if I had kids, If I was sure we were done and then shook my hand, and told me to get undressed ha.

Yeah...I'm not sure where you got your info from. The bit about pulling the entire testicle out is almost certainly wrong. Your nutsack would look like frankenstein post-op with all the stitches. They do pull out and isolate a section of the vas deferens...but that is like a 1mm diameter tube. Also, many incisions don't need stitches as all, that they only tend to be 1-2mm long.

Also-1-1/2 hours!?!....did they wash your hair and give you a massage too? I was out in less in 15-20 minutes. I was in and out so quickly my wife thought they had canceled my surgery.

I actually had my surgery on October 27th this year. I was in the room for 1.5 hours. The reason it was so long was because of how meticulous he was being separating the vessels from the vas deferens. Also after injecting the pain meds he waiting for the numbing to take effect(10 minutes maybe). The healing process with my procedure was not nearly was bad as some people say their healing is. I didn't have any bleeding, no swelling, just a little scab where he snipped he skin(very small), and no lingering aches that I've heard people describe.

As far as pulling the testicle out, that information came directly from my doctor. He said there was a urologist that no longer works at the hospital performed that type of vasectomy. He did it more to inspect the testicle for cancer cells than for the actual vasectomy procedure, but that was he was process for every vasectomy. That is an extreme case of "the wrong way to do it", but that is why it is good to ask questions. Also, stitches(or a stitch) are pretty common according to my doctor, that is why I brought up that the process my MD used didn't use stitches.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm seriously thinking of doing a lot more than getting snipped. I'm not sure if I'll have the balls to do it, but if I do, well, then I guess I won't...

I am genuinely ****ed up.

Getting back on topic, if I remain male and get involved with a woman at some point, a vasectomy would be one of the first things I would do. I'm too old to get into raising children (born in late 1968), and never wanted any in the first place. IMAO, creating a new sentient being is depraved cruelty and nothing less.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm seriously thinking of doing a lot more than getting snipped. I'm not sure if I'll have the balls to do it, but if I do, well, then I guess I won't...

I am genuinely ****ed up.

Getting back on topic, if I remain male and get involved with a woman at some point, a vasectomy would be one of the first things I would do. I'm too old to get into raising children (born in late 1968), and never wanted any in the first place. IMAO, creating a new sentient being is depraved cruelty and nothing less.

Uh...

****! I meant to cut that last part, it was rather... intemperate of me. It's more a reflection of my general depression and disgust at the world than anything I really think. I just... I can't see how anyone could have a child in such a rotten world and feel good about it, sometimes.

As for the rest, the first part is TMI, I'm sure. The second part, about being too old, well, yeah, I can't see become a parent at 47, it sounds like it would be too demanding by half even at 23.

Hell, I should have just kept my mouth shut. I probably ought to just delete that whole post. Sorry.

****! I meant to cut that last part, it was rather... intemperate of me. It's more a reflection of my general depression and disgust at the world than anything I really think. I just... I can't see how anyone could have a child in such a rotten world and feel good about it, sometimes.

As for the rest, the first part is TMI, I'm sure. The second part, about being too old, well, yeah, I can't see become a parent at 47, it sounds like it would be too demanding by half even at 23.

Hell, I should have just kept my mouth shut. I probably ought to just delete that whole post. Sorry.

Well personal preferences aside... What would be the reason for considering castration?

Personal opinions aside, I don't think you should delete that post. There may be a lot of confused people but it sounds like you're in a transition period and reaching out for support is definitely a worthy (and very human) action.

I won't say I understand the transition, but what you're going through isn't to be marginalized.

Two things I have in mind though:
1) Lots of insurance will help with the cost of a vasectomy and (from the little I understand) wouldn't affect the other operation.
2) it sounds like you don't want kids. :)

GOOD LUCK!

Well, looks like its inevitable. I'll probably be getting the ol' snip snip sometime next year. Only have one kid, but went through so much with her, we don't want anymore children. Just gotta finish working up the nerve to let someone do painful things to the boys. And see what coverage, if any, my insurance starting in January has for the procedure.

it is 100% covered by my insurance.. I am thinking most insurance policies are.. look under voluntary sterilization. Typically its like around $1500 to have it done so the insurance company is much more willing to pay that than 80% or 90% of the birth of a child

When the doc says to take it easy, he means it. I sat on the couch and vegged out for a few days. I don't think I have been that relaxed since LOL. I had zero complications, but the doc told me some idiot he snipped decided he was back 100% and decided to go....wait for it....horseback riding! He said the guys balls swelled like cantaloupes...eek

Uh... I'll stick with the 15 minute, simple, permanent procedure, thanks. ;) I'm not going to change my mind on kids, so no need to endure the extra complication/expense/risk of a bleeding-edge, experimental device that may or may not work.

well i got fixed on Friday.. it wasn't all that bad.. i never took any of the pain medicine they gave me and the pain is only mild discomfort. The killer is my wife kicked me out of the house for the weekend.

We had talked about it once before after my consultation appointment and she was not totally on-board and so after some debating i told her that i wouldn't schedule the procedure because I dont want a rift in our marriage. A couple weeks after that she seemed to be cool about it and said she would schedule it so she set the date, and kept saying "i understand the logic, and it makes sense to have it done since we have 3 kids already. I just dont like that i will lose the choice to have more if i want more in the future". She also said things like "I will be an ******* the day of it but i will eventually get over it".

well I had it done and the minute we got home she kicked me out and i spent the weekend at my dads house. she finally started talking to me and basically saying stuff like she cant believe i did it, and shell never forgive me etc. It even got to the point she is considering leaving me.

WTF?

well i got fixed on Friday.. it wasn't all that bad.. i never took any of the pain medicine they gave me and the pain is only mild discomfort. The killer is my wife kicked me out of the house for the weekend.

We had talked about it once before after my consultation appointment and she was not totally on-board and so after some debating i told her that i wouldn't schedule the procedure because I dont want a rift in our marriage. A couple weeks after that she seemed to be cool about it and said she would schedule it so she set the date, and kept saying "i understand the logic, and it makes sense to have it done since we have 3 kids already. I just dont like that i will lose the choice to have more if i want more in the future". She also said things like "I will be an ******* the day of it but i will eventually get over it".

well I had it done and the minute we got home she kicked me out and i spent the weekend at my dads house. she finally started talking to me and basically saying stuff like she cant believe i did it, and shell never forgive me etc. It even got to the point she is considering leaving me.

WTF?

e6cdffc1f8de71fb5c760e7a2a1fd045fda80449681dba24e2ccbcfa852516ff.jpg

Back