Mega Brew Day w/ Lessons Learned!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughster

Reaction score
- Took my porter off tap. It is harsh, vegetable'ish, too heavy on the soy, shall I go on? :). Put it back In a carboy with some vanilla beans. Plan on letting this sit for another few weeks and see what it is like.

- Put my 2nd batch of Apfelwein on tap. Sweetened with 2 cups of Sucralose and it is perfect sweetness for my taste!

- Put my Allagash White Clone on tap. Man even flat this was stellar. Spicy, but not over the top, great wheat taste. I am really looking forward to this getting carbed up!

- Took the lees from the Allagash clone and made a starter for my 3rd batch of Skeeter Pee.

- Brewed up the Skeeter Pee and have it aerating where I will add the starter Tuesday.

- Finished the day off by brewing an American Hefeweizen which I plan on racking into cherries in ~10 days.

Cleaned it all up and am enjoying a mug of the Apfelwein.

My lessons learned for the day:

- Candy thermometers suck, are not accurate and probably have significantly contributed to some of my previous brews poor efficiency. I used a new floating thermometer as a second reading and the candy thermo was reading more than 20 degrees F higher than the actual temp :(

- Because of the above issue, I used to use my copper wort chiller to swirl the wort to try and get the temp down. Today using the new thermo I didn't swirl at all and was left with good solid cold break / chub at the bottom of the pot which was easy to leave there instead of getting it all in the carboy.

Today was a good day :)

image-127800122.jpg

Latest posts

Back