Measuring gravity a day later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-crowing

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of brewing and I broke my hydrometer. I know I should have a second one in case of an accident but I don't. Is it OK to take a sample today, refrigerate it, and measure my gravity tomorrow? I'm not sure if storing it will have any effect on sugar content.

is this an extract batch? If so and you hit your volume correctly then your OG should be spot on.

So long as you take the sample prior to pitching, it should be fine to use for OG measurement.

Make sure to warm the sample to 60*F or use a calc to compensate for the temp difference if it's cold from the fridge.

The only way for the sugar concentration to change would be evaporation. Why refrigerate though?

Edit: maybe thinking wild yeast? I guess that would be a way for the gravity to change. I'd just put some saran wrap or foil over the top.

The only way for the sugar concentration to change would be evaporation. Why refrigerate though?

Edit: maybe thinking wild yeast? I guess that would be a way for the gravity to change. I'd just put some saran wrap or foil over the top.

Yes, I was worried about wild yeast. I stored my preboil and post boil samples in tupperware containers. This was my second all grain batch so I didn't want to not measure my gravities since I'm still figuring out what my efficiency is. Thanks for the help everyone!

Latest posts

Back