Mead X Milk stout hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to get down my thoughts for this next beer and hear any feedback on taste profiles..A braggot of sorts.Its gona be an expensive one and a long process. I want to do a Honey milk stout but im gona get a bit crazy with it.
I have decided to make a batch of mead to be blended with a final stout rather then just put X amounts of honey in my stout. a portion of the mead will be a bochet my goal is for about 25-33% of the final product to be honey. With an ABV around 6.8-8
gona do some math and write a recipe or two.

Last edited:
Jeez not all at once,You guys are a real talkative bunch.
this is what im thinking

mead 14 gallons @ 14.5ABV
30 lb Honey 75.9%
1 lb Maple Syrup 2.5%
6 lb burnt honey 15.2%
1.5 lb coconut sugar 3.8%
0.5 lb date sugar 1.3%
0.5 lb Maple Sugar - 1.3%
this will be the milk stout 32 gallons 3.11ABV
25 lb Pale 2-Row 54.1%
3 lb Midnight Wheat Malt 6.5%
2 lb Belgian Candi Syrup - Golden (5L) 4.3%
2 lb Rice Syrup Solids 4.3%
2 lb Aromatic Malt 4.3%
1.6 lb Caramel / Crystal 10L 3.5%
1.6 lb Roasted Barley 3.5%
1 lb CaraCrystal Wheat Malt 2.2%
8 oz Chocolate Wheat 1.1%
8 oz CaraRed 1.1%
7 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) 15.2%

combined this should give me 39 gallons7.65ABV

Last edited:
One of the first brews I made eas as you mention: a dark bragawd. I wouldn't go overboard with malts. Maybe just pale, crystal and brown with a dash of roast for colour. 40% of the fermentables were honey and the the strength was about 7% abv. I added vanjvan and the result was smooth, fruity and a tad sweet (even without lactose). I think I hopped for less than 10IBU with EKG which fitted nicely.

So i started this beer two weeks ago, well i started the bocet braggot that will be blended.There was not much notable flavor that came from caramelizing only 18% of the honey but i did get the color i wanted. I want that to reach full fermentation before i add it to the beer.
I have all my ingredients/adjuncts.
I keep going back and forth on what i actually want from the beer,besides the immediate flavors. i'm undecided on FinalIBU, ABV and SRM although i am leaning toward a redish color.
I omitted the crystal 10 and cara red for an equal amount of caramunich.
I want the sweetness to be noticeable/recognizable from the honey and the grains individually. With that said it needs to be roasty enough to counter act that.
im going to call it seven sugars bragot.
just getting my thoughts down, feel free to make a comment.

This sounds very interesting. I've been playing on the dividing line of braggots and honey beers while keeping them at beer strength, but this is something else entirely. Love to hear how it turns out, but that'll probably be in a year or so.

just brewed today the mead is stabilized/clear already at 14% and taste amazing

i just oaked this yesterday it has been a long process to make this bochet and i cant wait to give the final product a taste this week.
The mead itself took 2 months to reach 15% and get crystal clear.
The final blended braggot is darker then i was planning, almost black.It has a dominate flavor of sweet honey thats accented by specialty/ crystal malts the hop bitter cuts the sweetness.
the final blend is 9.37 ABV
the recipe was changed a bit from the one above.
its sitting on 7 oz medium toast french oak cubes + 2 oz heavy toast american oak chips + 1 spiral (4.5 oz) american medium toast plus
it will be kegged sometime this week and bottled after that

50 lb American - Pale 2-Row
5 lb Rice Syrup Solids
2.25 lb American - CaraCrystal Wheat Malt
3 lb American - Midnight Wheat Malt <--- will reduce down to two next time
2 lb Belgian Candi Syrup - Golden (5L)
2 lb American - Roasted Barley
1 lb American - Aromatic Malt
1 lb Belgian - CaraMunich
1 lb lactose
8 oz German - Chocolate Wheat
8 oz date sugar
8 oz Maple Sugar
67.75 lb Total
Hops
2 oz Northern Brewer 50 min
1 oz Nugget 50 min
2 oz Nugget 40 min
2 oz Northern Brewer 20 min
4 oz tahoma 20 min
2 oz Hallertau 10 min
2 oz Hallertau Blanc 1 min
1 oz Northern Brewer 1 min
Show Summary View
----------------------------
Title: sept sucre mead
Batch Size: 15 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.115
Final Gravity: 1.001
ABV (standard): 14.96%
IBU (tinseth): 0
SRM (morey): 8.16

FERMENTABLES:
33 lb - Honey (81.5%)
7.5 lb - burnt honey - (late addition) (18.5%)
NOTES:
7.5#s of honey brought to a simmer for 20 mins under low heat.with continuous non stop stirring. flame added until a puff of white smoke (2 mins ish) dabs put on paper until it was the expected color.
170F water added threw bottom of the pot until the honey stabilized.33#s honey added with additional 170F water until 15 gallons collected.
yeast ex added (2 tbs)
wort chiller circulated until around 60F one packet sweat mead added to each fermenter
1 day later lalvins ec 1118 added to each fermenter.
1 day later DAP added

bochetlableno barrier.jpg

Last edited:
Back