Mead (cyzer) yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
Just made my first cyzer. I used cider yeast cuz cider is what I do and had plenty on hand. After all there is Apple juice in cyzer.

So what yeast do most people use when making mead, cyzer and melomel? I've read a lot of recipes with wine or champagne yeast. But that's how I started cider and have since moved on.

I prefer dry yeast packets if that's possible.

Cote des Blancs. It is clean, easy, predictable, always excellent, and finishes slightly above bone dryness.

How low a F.G. are you getting? The data sheet says high nutrient req. Does it get stuck in mead of cider with low nutrients?

I use 71B in all my meads and ciders (and cysers). I treat all meads as if they are low in nutrients and will add DAP a few hours after I pitch the yeast. Not had any problems with stalled fermentation or sulfur hydroxide

Yeah, you're probably right. That's why I remove the yeast with gelatin before it goes that low. Aim for 1.005-1.010, then hit with gelatin and cold. That's what I *really* do.

Back