McMaster Carr Heat Sheets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfitz

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has used something like this to maintain a fermenter temperature. At a 2.5 to 5w density psi it seems like it would be reasonable.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#blanket-heaters/=15sqlin

That's basically what all the carboy heaters are that you would see on a brew site. Of course, those are around 40w per 2 sq ft, or 0.07 wpsi. I wouldn't use something 50 times more powerful without a controller to turn it off it gets too hot.

That's basically what all the carboy heaters are that you would see on a brew site. Of course, those are around 40w per 2 sq ft, or 0.07 wpsi. I wouldn't use something 50 times more powerful without a controller to turn it off it gets too hot.

I have the same concern--with that power density are you going to be cooking the beer some more under where the heater is?

I use a 21-watt seed heating or reptile warming mat, and it's 207 square inches, or .1 watt per square inch. It's able to keep a 5-gallon fermenter at 66 degrees in a refrigerator in a 40-degree garage. Probably can do better than that, that's just what I know it can do.

Back