Matching yeast temp to wort temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zigs6

Reaction score
During my most recent all grain batch I hydrated a couple of dry yeast packs in some warm water. Afterwards it dawned on me that I was not anywhere close to matching the temperature of my yeast and wort. The yeast would have been around 80 degrees and my wort temp at the time was 50 degrees for my lager. Can anyone chime in with their experiences with this? Conventional wisdom would tell us not to do this as it may shock the yeast. It’s already fermenting but I could not find much info on this at all. What are the ramifications if any for this mistake. It wasn’t my intention but merely an afterthought.

Cheers

I think there are more reliable ways to kill yeast than suddenly dropping 30 degrees.

IF you rehydrate, and IF you use warm water to do it, the BEST way is to add wort to the yeast every 5-10 minutes to gradually reduce (no more than 10°F at a time) to wort temp after rehydration is complete. Or so they say.

You just created some more lag time by shocking the yeast, not a big deal but not advisable.

What yeast did you use? Fermentis recommendation 70-77 for rehydration temp for their lager strains. 15-30 minutes settling plus 30 minutes of stirring etc will usually get you closer to pitch temp unless you’re brewing somewhere hot which I assume since it’s July is probably the case. Attemperation is the way to go in this case.

Last edited:
I’m in Phoenix and I used 34/70. Let it be written that I chilled a 10 gallon batch of wort down to 48 degrees in Phoenix in the middle of July. I think I was more excited about that so I was so happy I just threw it it in there after oxygenating without thinking about the temp difference. Other than an increased lag time, any other worries? It was going pretty strong after 30 hours so it didn’t seem too bad.

Latest posts

Back