Mashtun: Leftover Grain Transport

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatTWirp

Reaction score
Given the level of expertise here, I was wondering if anyone has any particularly good ways to move the leftover grain in the mash tun out to the garbage. I've been using garbage bags, but on one occasion (nearly two) these have broken. My wife and I put it into a little laundry basket to keep the plastic from stretching, but when we dumped it, it tipped upside down and some of the grain came out and into the bottom of the trash can (will smell like death soon).

So, anyone find something more effective than trash bags? And/or more cost effective?

Kind of minor question, but rather than try ten solutions until I find on that works best for me, I thought I'd ask what everyone here is doing.

PS: I have no chickens and no dogs, so feeding it to animals won't work for me.

I found a short plastic trash can that's a little shorter than my brew stand, so at the end of the mash I tilt my 25g mash tun on its side and use a big steel spoon to scoop out the grains into the trash can. Then I carry the trash can to the back yard and dump the grains along the back fence area. The birds and rabbits in the neighborhood love me.

But if I were to dump the grains into a trash can for disposal, I'd be sure to use thick contractor bags.

I saved a 50 lbs grain sack, the sort that is basically woven out of thin plastic strips, and just use that to give it to the neighbors chickens. Prop up mash tun, scoop it all in, itll drain most the liquid out of the sack then I haul it away. Rinse and let dry for next time.

A 5 gallon bucket would probably work well too.

Line your mash tun with a BIAB mesh bag. You get 2 benefits, major reduction in the risk of a stuck sparge (just lift the bag). And a nice, strong bag to carry the spent grains in.

Perfect! That will help filter out grain husks too in the mash. Where do you get big BIAB mesh bags? I have a 10 gallons round cooler and a 40 gallon rectangular one.

Perfect! That will help filter out grain husks too in the mash. Where do you get big BIAB mesh bags? I have a 10 gallons round cooler and a 40 gallon rectangular one.

@Wilserbrewer on this site will make you whatever custom bag size you need. His site is here.

Brew on :mug:

I use garbage bags as well. I line 2 of them inside a 5 gal bucket and I scoop most of the spent grains in. Once I get most of it out, I just dump it in. make sure your spent grains are cooled enough, hot grains tear through garage bags with ease. I can usually handle about 21-25 Ibs of spent grain in two garbage bags.

Ill use industrial garbage bags if I have to, but doing 10 gal batches, the LHBS usually puts my grains in a 50# bag, which is sturdy enough not to break when moving around.

I do remember my first RIS on my old 5 gal setup...Thank God it broke over the driveway...

I use two 40lb cat litter pails, one inside the other, with holes drilled in the inner one to allow more wort to drain before putting it in the trash. I usually leave it overnight to cool and finish draining.

You could do the same with any stacking plastic buckets - I just had these to hand.

I use spent grains as mulch around some of our trees. The squirrels and deer leave it alone as there is nothing left in the grain for them to eat...

Back