Mashing to get OG higher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluphil52

Reaction score
Been getting some low gravity numbers lately getting frustrated!
But being doing some 6 kg grains in 28 litres boiler.
Now if I stir throughout mashing process which is 1 hour to 1 and half hour. Will that help my OG. ?

What gravity are you expecting? What is your recipe and what is your mash temperature?

Yes stirring during the mashing process can help. It probably won't solve the problem.

Stirring will help. I tend to stir my mash every 20 min or so. Another big factor for efficiency is the crush of the grain, if it's too course the sugars can not be completely extracted leading to low efficiency. Also the amount of water can affect the amount of sugar extracted.

Are you using a MLT or brew in a bag.

Crush is the probly the culprit. Before my lhbs got there new mill I was having them mill it twice cause my numbers were sucking. After they got the new mill all is back to norm. Do you batch or fly sparge? If batch sparging when you and your second or third water amount let it sit a bit before draining. Stiring will make sure all is mixed well but if you stir the bejeezes out of it at first you really shouldn't need to after that. Imo.

I'm doing BIAB
I did a recipe for a porter.
OG was suppose to be 10.53
I got 10.44. There was enough water in. Mash time was 90mins. At 66f
It did keep going a couple over that.. 68 67 then 69 and back down.
Would this cause it as well?

If you mashed at 66f that is your problem. But my guess is that you meant Celsius. Biab you typically get slightly higher efficiency. But my guess ids the culprit of your efficiency problems is the crush of the grain.

I got 10.44. There was enough water in. Mash time was 90mins. At 66f

The hydrometer readings are 1.xxx meaning 1.000 is distilled water and 70*F (I might be off on that temp).

So your OG was 1.044 after the boil and cooling?

What is "enough" water?

and restate at what temp you did your mash at. 66*F isn't a mash temp.

Hi sorry I meant 66c
My malt is from a good source and is well crushed.
Yes I had enough water in mashing bin.
My temperature was occasionally change though like 68,69
So lowers it to 64c to get 66c
If water was too hot would that be a course?

Do you have a picture of your grain crush? Is your bag big enough that the grains are very loose and completely mixed with the grains? Are you doing a full volume mash or are you sparging and if so how? You keep saying there was enough water in, but what actual volumes are you using, and do you have a process for measuring them accurately? As was asked above, are you cooling the sample before measuring?

If you mean that you used 6 kg for 28 liters finished volume and my math is right then the expected 1.053 would be about 78% efficiency. Sounds like you are getting about 65% efficiency which isn't horrible but can probably be improved (of course, these numbers only apply if you are measuring your volumes accurately). I never stir during the actual mash and get 77-78% on my BIAB batches. It doesn't sound like mash temp is the issue - unless your thermometer is not calibrated. What water are you using and do you treat or check pH in any way? I think this is likely way down the list for efficiency problems but I guess possible if you have extreme water.

Wait, I'm confused....

Did you measure your OG with a COOLED wort sample? If you're taking the sample hot, it will show lower than it "actually" is. Sorry if you already knew that, it's just always good to check.

Also make sure that the gravity you're taking immediately after the mash is y our "boil gravity" this is NOT your OG. Your Boil Gravity will be lower than your OG because of boiloff.

If you already knew this, sorry for wasting your time.

Back