Mashing in an Insta Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyDave

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this for small test batches. I’m using the sous vide function for pork chops tonight and it dawned on me I could use this function to mash and then boil on the stove. Yes I’ve been drinking. Has anyone tried this with success? If so what’s your procedure?

I have seen reports of people doing this and they seem to be satisfied with it. Some of them use it for bigger batches where they fill the mash tun and let the sous vide slowly bring the water to mash temp overnight so they are ready to dough in first thing in the morning. Most often I see this done with BIAB so the grains don't clog up the sous vide as they let it maintain mash temp.

I've used mine to do a mini-mash on 2lbs of grain that I later dried and roasted to make my own crystal malt. It works great for that!

Basic brewing has done it a couple of times, the process shown in the video needs to refined somewhat, but you can mash and boil in the insta-pot or just mash and then use another pot for boiling , which would be my choice. If I had one, I'd try to mash as much as I could in the insta=pot, then hanve a boil pot with the sparge water ready, pull the bag from the insta-pot when the mash is done and do a dunk sparge in the boil pot, and then combine everything for the boil.
If you have the 8 quart insta-pot you could boil small batches in that, or make concentrated wort and add water in the fermenter, there are other U-tube videos besides this one:

Latest posts

Back