Mashing in a new member!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrandt

Warped Barrel Brewing
Reaction score
Figured I would jump in here and give a quick background on myself and how I got started brewing. I have been lurking for about a year and figured it may be time to give back.

Name: Phil
Nebraska
Married
2 Kids (one on the way)
Golf
Hunting/Fishing
Smoking Food
Most importantly Brewing Beer!

I started brewing a little over a year ago. I was talking with my cousin about a new microbrewery that opened up and how cool that would be to do down the road. He told me about a buddy of his that has been brewing for about 10 years and gave me his number. I got to tour his basement brewery and pick his brain for about 3 hours. After we talked I decided I wanted to go straight into All Grain Brewing and would keg instead of bottle.

My first two beers I made were 3 Gal batches via BIAB in an old 7 gallon turkey frying pot. Yeah there were a few bad words said on my first brew day! Especially when I spilled the yeast I had hydrated all over the floor! Called the owner of Thunderhead Brewery and he said he could meet me in an hour and saved the day!

33492790210_9b6cf6d54f_c.jpg

I was hooked after my first two brew sessions. I then proceeded to upgrade to a 3 tier system. Purchased from another brewer 2 Coolers, brew kettle, and Blichmann Burner. I have brewed around 20 all grain batches (I know not that many compared to a lot of you). Only one of which was not drinkable :(

33492785750_3f17f718e4_c.jpg

All of my beers were made from various all grain kits from Northern Brewer and other companies. I just now started buying grains in bulk to save on cost (closest homebrew supply store is 2.5 hours away). I want to start making my own recipes.

I have been fascinated by HERMS and RIMS systems and wanted to go to 10 gallon batches so I can try different yeast strains. So I pulled the trigger on a new HLT, MT, and BK. I am still waiting on them to arrive (HLT and MT). I am working on a controller build right now for one pump and one element (Pain in my a$$). Boil Kettle will still be on propane.

I just finished my keezer! 6 faucets (4 standard Perlicks, 1 Nitro, and 1 Wine). Made with Barnwood, corrugated steel, a grape brandy whiskey barrel, and epoxy the top with metallic blue silver and white.

33064177383_e8a3a62340_z.jpg

33877741755_372afa8bf5_c.jpg

I built a new brew stand recently.

33748504371_578f8cd41a_c.jpg

I am also working on a new Fermentation chamber for the basement aside from my lagering freezer.

33064174653_6a2e81e85e_c.jpg

Things I have learned...
Don't spill the yeast!
Don't mill your grain too fine. (Countless stuck sparges)
Sanitation is key. (Beer Infections taste bad!)
Keep really good notes
Refractometers cannot calculate final gravity without a conversion.
You don't need the best equipment to make the best beer (but toys are fun)
Know that I know nothing and am constantly learning!
If they don't like the beer, that means more for you!

Cheers

Back