Mash would not drain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. I did my mash as always yesterday. I have a round 5 gallon cooler and I use a SS braided toilet hose. I went to do my first sparge and pretty much nothing came out. I stirred and stirred. Nothing. Tried opening and closing the faucet a few times. Nothing. Opened the faucet stuck my temperature rod back and forth. Nothing. LUCKILY I had my old BIAB bag and found a hopeful work around. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why it would not drain at all. Any potential ideas?

There are many reasons for a stuck sparge. Overly milled grain, lots of wheat or rye come to mind. You can add rice hulls for insurance.

Ok. I did see a "kink" right by the drain hole where it appeared to have "bunched up". What do you mean by a ss spring? Where might one find such a thing?

Basically for the spring you can put any type of sturdy (Stainless/food grade high temp) tubing with holes/slits inside the braid to maintain its shape and structural integrity. If it pinches there will be little to no flow.

Back