Mash, what the heck does rise mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All, I'm a fairly new brewer. I've done about 4 extract batches and bought the equipment to do 10 gallon all gran batches. I've done three so far, a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone, a SMaSH Saison, and I'm kegging a Cranberry Ale tomorrow. These were all done with recipes I found online. I purchased Beersmith and will use this for brew day tomorrow. The mash step says this...

0 min - Mash In (5 min rise, hold 152.0 F for 75 min)

What does 5 min rise mean? none of the other recipes I followed have used that term.

Much appreciated!!

Hello All, I'm a fairly new brewer. I've done about 4 extract batches and bought the equipment to do 10 gallon all gran batches. I've done three so far, a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone, a SMaSH Saison, and I'm kegging a Cranberry Ale tomorrow. These were all done with recipes I found online. I purchased Beersmith and will use this for brew day tomorrow. The mash step says this...

0 min - Mash In (5 min rise, hold 152.0 F for 75 min)

What does 5 min rise mean? none of the other recipes I followed have used that term.

Much appreciated!!

That assumes that it takes you 5 minutes to get to 152. You can delete that part of the step if your plan is to mash in at 152. It sounds like you have your Beersmith settings set at "temperature mash" or something like that.

I'll have to check that setting. It says to add 30qts of water at 165.1 F, I'm assuming that the after adding the grain It should be at the 152.0? Do you know if that takes into account the heat loss from my 10 gallon Igloo cooler? There's got to be some heat loss there. The other recipes I followed (non-beeersmith) had me adding much hotter water to cooler first and letting it sit for about 10 minutes so the cooler could heat up. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I'll have to check that setting. It says to add 30qts of water at 165.1 F, I'm assuming that the after adding the grain It should be at the 152.0? Do you know if that takes into account the heat loss from my 10 gallon Igloo cooler? There's got to be some heat loss there. The other recipes I followed (non-beeersmith) had me adding much hotter water to cooler first and letting it sit for about 10 minutes so the cooler could heat up. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I preheat my mashtun, always. And still I have about a 11 degree temperature difference from the strike temp vs mash temp. I think that you have a a "temperature mash" step in there somewhere instead of an infusion mash step.

This is what my mash profile (Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out) looks like...

mashProfile.PNG

Just follow those steps, and go from there. The 5 minutes is for getting your grain up to 152 - doughing in/stirring and temp stabilization. If you remove the "5 minute rise" text, does that ease your mind? You are going to dough in, stir and do your best to get equal temps throughout the mash, as close to your chosen mash temp as possible anyway.

I suppose they add the 5 minutes because technically you are not resting at your 152. With the additional 5 minutes, without it, in the end it does not make a difference at 70 minutes.

BS does take heat loss of the cooler into account, but I don't think it is good at it (even when configuring your gear). I typically add a couple degrees to what BS says for strike temps, and that is with preheating the tun as well. But that is also my gear and processes. You can figure out your setup.

You really need to take good notes to help figure out your temps. After the basic info (i.e.strike temp, grain temp, pounds of grain), note your technique and process. Your strike temp may be spot on, but if it takes you a long time to dough in, you can lose extra heat with the lid open and all the stirring.

Coolers lose heat differently. You need to take temps at regular intervals to see how much heat you are losing. But remember opening the top will lose heat. I have a digital thermometer with flexible cables I can put in the tun, shut the lid and monitor the temps, works great.

If you lose more heat than you can handle, wrap the tun (blankets, towels,sweat clothes, real insulation...) to insulate it.

Take good notes, adjust accordingly.

Latest posts

Back