Mash tun trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbates1982

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post, ive been brewing for about 5 years have about 5 all grain brews in. The last two i have had some problems with my mash tun. I use an igloo ten gallon cooler with false bottom, my problem is ive had the fittings fall out of place connected to ball valve and false bottom, causing a stuck sparge. Im thinking about switching to a bazooka screen. Any ideas would be great. Below is a pic of my false bottom to help out

ForumRunner_20130326_074905.png

Is it tightened all the way, do you have an o-ring on the dip tube holding the screen down? Those should be locked in if everything is cranked down before you start.

You also want to make sure everything is tight so you don't lose siphon.

I have a s/s nut holding down the false bottom. I also have compression fittings in each point where the tube is inserted leading to ball valve and false bottom. Thanks for the reply.

I know lots of people swear by false bottoms, but my experience with them left a lot to be desired. Constantly got grain or husks under them, constantly had to disassemble and reassemble.

I got a bazooka screen from my LHBS a few years ago and never looked back. Set it and forget it, never had any problems with just rinsing it clean. Never had to disassemble it yet. :rockin:

-Rich

I've had the same Stuck Sparge issues with my false bottom igloo. I simply line it with a large brew bag. No more problems.

Are you ending up with a ton of grain underneath the fb? I feel like a ton of stuck sparges with false bottoms come from creating a vacuum when you open the ball valve (even when you open it slowly)

If that could be it, you could try venting it, just run some silicone hose or ss tube from underneath the false bottom to above the water line so you can relieve the pressure. Some people (professional breweries included) even use a tee with a vacuum gauge on one side and a valve to release the pressure on the other.

How much grain are you using in the tun . I swear by my 10 gallon cooler and false bottom. I originally tried the braid and hated it! It got stuck like crazy, I then bought the false bottom and never looked back, which is exactly opposite of other forum members.

The reason I ask about the amount of grain is because, the only time I have had problems was when I put 24+- pounds of grain in my tun which pressed the false bottom down enough that it slowed the flow of wort. Get your connections right and I'm sure you'll be fine.

FWIW, I've used 22.5 lbs of grain on top of a bazooka-screen braid with no trouble.

-Rich

Lots of good ideas guy, kinda interested in lining with a bag. Also was ki worried about stuck sparge with the bazooka screen. What kinda of fittings where use to connect the bazooka screen to the mash tun?

I've had pretty good luck just sticking the nylon tube that came with my Midwest false bottom into the cooler bulkhead nipple. The OD of the hose fits perfectly in the ID of the nipple. Easy to remove too for cleaning. I cut it long enough the there's no way it could come when mashing.

image-71068862.jpg

Looks good back alley, seems like a good way to still get use out pf the false bottom as well.

Back