Mash tun recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
I am in the process of building an electric homebrewery. Are there any recommendations for a mash tun? I’ve looked at spike and Blichmann. I like things about each so I’m in the middle. The Blichmann seems simple without much hardware, but I’ve read reviews of them being easily scratched, dented, and discolored. The spike looks solid, but it’s very clunky with welded on tc ports and all the hardware needed to make it work. I have a spike bk, so it makes sense to stick with spike, but I’m open.

I am in the process of building an electric homebrewery. Are there any recommendations for a mash tun? I’ve looked at spike and Blichmann. I like things about each so I’m in the middle. The Blichmann seems simple without much hardware, but I’ve read reviews of them being easily scratched, dented, and discolored. The spike looks solid, but it’s very clunky with welded on tc ports and all the hardware needed to make it work. I have a spike bk, so it makes sense to stick with spike, but I’m open.
I have the Spike and have never used anything else so I can't give you an opinion there. I will say that the Spike isn't very clunky, in my opinion. You've got the recirc port and the drain port with a temp probe on it. Not very clunky to me, but to each their own. From my experience, it's worked very well.

My Chapman insulated stainless tun works well for me - good upgrade from a plastic cooler, works fine for recirculation and, now, Blichmann auto-sparge. Electricity is limited to my HLT and kettle. Good luck with your mashtun hunt.

Even the Fermenters, it takes you to Keg Factory (who has a bad reputation) and everything is "temporarily out of stock."

Lots of stainless is "back ordered" or "out of stock" I have a 20 gal Champman that I purchase near the beginning of the year. I had a barn fire (unrelated to the brewery) that destroyed my setup. I have been rebuilding and ordered the Thermobarrel. I had both a 10 and 20 gal SS Brewtech before. If it comes back in stock, I much prefer the Thermobarrel because of its locking lid and the fact that it is wider than the SS Brewtech ones. I also prefer the Thermowell and other connections on the Thermobarrel as they will accept a different thermometer (The SS Brewtech was very small diameter.)

I have had an order in to Brewer's Hardware for some jacketed fermentors since Feb 9. Still not here but maybe September. And not just brewing stuff. I have had a Whirlpool fridge on order since March.

I went with a Spike+ MT when I upgraded from the keggle I was using. Zero regrets. Be sure to adjust your crush to match their doc's (.035-.036" gap) and you'll do well.

For availability, reach out to Spike and talk with them. Since ordering just a MT is a 'custom kettle' it allows you to get the ports where YOU want them (within reason). I did that for all three of my kettles from Spike. Mostly because I didn't go with the full set at the start. IF I was to do this over again, or when I get the next setup, I'll get all three kettles at the same time. That way I can also get the control panel and table too. I did end up getting the panel from Electric Brewing Supply, which is [essentially] the same panel that you get from Spike with their complete system.

Latest posts

Back