Mash Tun advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
I have a friend that contacted me with some equipment that he needs to get rid of. He has a 10 gallon, double wall, stainless steel digitally controlled vat that he wants to dispose of. Pic is below.
How it work is the double wall is totally enclosed and can be filled and drained. There is a digitally controlled heater that heats the water between the walls and keeps what ever is in the vat at a constant temp.

I am thinking that this would be an awesome mash tun. Do you agree? Would this be a good find?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395695697.479956.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just my opinion, but that type of temp control is wasted on a mash tun - it would take too long to stabilize and change temps. But it would be PERFECT for a fermenter!!!

If I would use it for a fermenter I would need to create some type of sealed lid but I did think of that as well.

It would make a great mash tun, but would be useless for step mashing. I'd set it up as both a mash tun and a fermenter!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Wasn't planning on doing step mashing. I figured it be set at one temp and keep it at that temp for the 60 minutes.

Latest posts

Back