Mash Tun, 3/8" or 1/2"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SliverXZennon

Reaction score
So I'm putting this question out there for hopefully a quick answer...

I have this false bottom and a 10 gallon igloo cooler. I also want to use a 3 piece SS 1/2" ball valve from bargainfittings.com.

My question is, the false bottom is 3/8" hose barb and the ball valve is 1/2". Should I change the false bottom to 1/2" or put a reducer on the ball valve to 3/8"?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The ball valve does not include a barb. The ball valve just has (2) 1/2" FNPT ports. You can thread a 3/8" barb x 1/2" MNPT fitting into one end of the ball valve and you will be fine.

Best bet is this setup
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=85
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_57&product_id=62
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_39_61&product_id=137

on the bulkhead kit the inside of the pot will have the 1/2" NPT coupling, thread the barb to that and run some silicon tube between the barb on the false bottom and the one on the outlet.

Good luck!

If it was a brew kettle I would tell you to upgrade it to 1/2" all the way. But with a mash tun you aren't going to be running it full tilt anyway, so 3/8 should be fine. On my old setup it was all 3/8 and I would stick my mash long before I got the valve full open. This was a 10 gallon cooler with a full size false bottom.

Its not needed. I was in the same situation about 3 months ago and I did upgrade the false bottom to a 1/2 inch elbow (mainly b/c I had extra parts laying around) and I feel like I have to close my ball valve more so it doesn't flow too much and suck the mass down.

Its not needed. I was in the same situation about 3 months ago and I did upgrade the false bottom to a 1/2 inch elbow (mainly b/c I had extra parts laying around) and I feel like I have to close my ball valve more so it doesn't flow too much and suck the mass down.
Sounds like the setup mentioned will work great then, thanks!

What do you guys do about cleaning? How hard is the tube to get off the barbs? That's my only concern now since I will go the 3/8's route.. Do you just flush it with soap and water and leave it in the cooler?

What do you guys do about cleaning? How hard is the tube to get off the barbs? That's my only concern now since I will go the 3/8's route.. Do you just flush it with soap and water and leave it in the cooler?

I would think rinsing and cleaning with the tube connected is acceptable. A mash tun just neeeds to be reasonably clean as it is pre-boil, which kills any undesirables. Lots of folks just simply rinse the mash tun well b/w brews. Concentrate your cleaning efforts on the cold side of the brewery....fermenting, bottling, kegging are the areas where cleanliness is important...a mash tun not so much.

I would think rinsing and cleaning with the tube connected is acceptable. A mash tun just neeeds to be reasonably clean as it is pre-boil, which kills any undesirables. Lots of folks just simply rinse the mash tun well b/w brews. Concentrate your cleaning efforts on the cold side of the brewery....fermenting, bottling, kegging are the areas where cleanliness is important...a mash tun not so much.

+1.

I have found that the tube comes off extremely easily if you do it right after you dump your grain because it's so hot. I find it easier to clean my false bottom by removing it. I find it easy to remove because the heat from the mash has softened the tube so much. I think you will find the same thing true. ;)

+1.

I have found that the tube comes off extremely easily if you do it right after you dump your grain because it's so hot. I find it easier to clean my false bottom by removing it. I find it easy to remove because the heat from the mash has softened the tube so much. I think you will find the same thing true. ;)
Hmm. Good way of doing it for sure. I'm just such a clean freak when it comes to brewing that I want EVERYTHING clean for each batch. Maybe going a bit overboard but I'm sure thats a good thing.

Back