Mash Temperature too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmullins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing BierMunchers Sierra Nevada clone and my HLT was accidentally at 180 instead of 160 (temp probe didn't go in far enough so the burner didn't shut off) and I recirculated for about 10 minutes. Took a look at the mash temp and it was at 169 (Target of 154).

Is this salvageable?"

From my past experience with tannins and astringency you may wind up tossing this batch out. Your target temperature should be hit within a few minutes any longer will cause issues with conversion. Good luck, let us know how this turns out.

The batch I tossed out may have become infected, on top of the astringency taste it fermented 10-12 gravity points lower than it should have and tasted like sucking on a tea bag soaked in paint thinner. Hopefully yours won't suffer the same fate.

I ended up just aborting the brewday. Since it was just the mash I have all my hops/yeast ready, and I will just pick up some more grains to do it next weekend.

I was losing concentration as I was finishing building a Grain mill station (will post pictures later). It probably had 15-20 minutes at those temps already, so I just pulled the plug

Noooo.jpg

I ended up just aborting the brewday. Since it was just the mash I have all my hops/yeast ready, and I will just pick up some more grains to do it next weekend.

I was losing concentration as I was finishing building a Grain mill station (will post pictures later). It probably had 15-20 minutes at those temps already, so I just pulled the plug

This is what I would have done too. Glad to hear it's only the grain and your time that was wasted. It's a good learning experience.

It's certainly not an easy decision but I think you did the right thing. I brew too often to worry about a few pounds of wasted grains or a gross beer just because you fought through the rest of the brew day.

Once you get you malt over 170 you basicly have stopped the mashing process. I think that if it was me I would save a few hours and a lot of frustration and start over.

Back