Mash temp double IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am making a double IPA Sunday, the PTE clone, and I am curious what I should mash at. It's going to be over 1.070 I am sure, but I don't want it too sweet. I don't need the 1.008 Red River gets, but closer to 1.012 would be good. I am thinking 152°F.

I would go lower like 150F but everybody's system is somewhat different.

Is there any sugar in the recipe. I use sugar in my IIPAs to help dry them out.

When I made my Ruination clone, I mashed at 150*. Over the hour I lost 3 degrees so it went down to 147*. I over shot the og, I think it was 1.089. I pitched a 1800ml starter of pac man, and it finished at 1.012.
What yeast are you using, and are you making a starter? I know mash temp is important in what the FG will be, but I think the yeast, and amount you pitch is also.

I mash IIPAs at 150, usually. I mashed the Stone Ruination clone at 152, but it dropped to 149 and I left it there. The Pliny clone I mashed higher, at 153, I believe.

I am making a double IPA Sunday, the PTE clone, and I am curious what I should mash at. It's going to be over 1.070 I am sure, but I don't want it too sweet. I don't need the 1.008 Red River gets, but closer to 1.012 would be good. I am thinking 152°F.

149F for 90 minutes with a 1.5 qt/lb mash.

I agree, long and low (149) has always worked well for me an the DIPA/IIPA. With S05, they finish around 1.012.

2 L stir starter with 2 packs of 1056.

I wasn't planning on using sugar, but I can. I also have MD in case I get to 1.006 or something weird like that.

I overheated my strike temp, walked away and it got to 190°. I got impatient waiting for it to drop and mashed in @ 153°F actually. Target was 152°F. I found my notes and the last one mashed @ 148°F, and I ended up adding 1/2# malto dextrine at bottling. My FG was 1.004 so I added 1/2# MD at bottling and it came out great. I'll just go with this, and base it on FG. If it's > 1.014 I'll add some sugar to dry it out, if it's under 1.008 I'll just add some MD again.

Back