Mash Hop and Vorlauf...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaysurfer

Former future HOF Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I did a bunch of firsts today. I like to get them all out of the way at once, so I can leapfrog right to competency (although it sometimes doesn't go exactly that way ;-) ).

I did my first all-grain brew..and I attempted a batch of Pliny the Elder using this recipe (although I did make some minor modifications because of hop inventory): http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny the Elder clone PDF.pdf

This recipe calls for 3oz of mash hops...and I used whole leaf hops thinking it was a good fit.

But when it came time to Vorlauf, I quite honestly ran through almost the entire mash before it started to come out somewhat clear. Between the cloudiness of my wort, and the major major trub issues I had when transferring to the fermentor (probably a different thread all by itself), I had a pretty rough time.

The mashing went OK...although I had a little trouble with heat retention in my MLT, so I ended up mashing a thinner mash (1.8qt/lb) and I also didn't mashout the way I intended because my propane tank ran out in an inopportune time. Basically I sparged with Mash temperature water. I was aiming for 1.073OG and missed by .006 (1.067 OG), but that's not really the end of the world. I'm sure I'll get better.

I was just wondering if any other AG brewers had any similar issues with Vorlaufing while mash hopping?

Back