Mash Bag vs Malt Pipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am just finishing my second time using my Robobrew as my mash tun and it’s also the second time I have a stuck mash. I do not have this problem with my @wilserbrewer bags. In fact I transferred my mash out of the pipe and into the bag in my HLT, which now requires extensive cleaning.

Is this a common problem? Am I beating my head into a wall not using the bag in the AIO?

This seems like my most likely solution. I am going to have to find a method for hanging the bag. May just have to build something….

I’ve never had a stuck mash in 6 years of constant brewing until I started using the malt pipe. But I will try out a batch and see what happens. Thank you!

It’s a double screen, and I normally double crush. Pretty small gap, credit card thick? With a Wilser Bag, I squeeze the poopies out of it and still get clear wort. With the malt pipe, no squeeze, and stuck mash. I am leaning toward either: 1. Single crush grain, and add more to cover the efficiency loss, or 2. Use the bag and squeeze it like it owes me money (like I was doing before the AIO).

It's likely the double crush and then the surface area of the screens is probably a bit less than the bag. Credit card gap is around 0.030-0.032 I think maybe even 0.036 but running it through twice makes it smaller. I try to mill at 0.028. That's single pass though and not as small as some do single pass. My two roller mill doesn't like to work under that size. Maybe get a feeler gauge if you want to single crush to see how low you can go or perhaps others know their lower limits for that AIO. Perhaps even efficiencies too!

I have an Anvil Foundry, so...kinda similar problem I guess? I gave up on just using the malt pipe as I would end up w/an occasional stuck mash. I'd like the simplicity of not having to use a bag to work, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. I try and do a .033 crush and using a Wilser bag I haven't had to even think about using rice hulls in quite some time.

Which is great, because finding those damn things in your spent grain granola really sucks.

I have an Anvil Foundry, so...kinda similar problem I guess? I gave up on just using the malt pipe as I would end up w/an occasional stuck mash. I'd like the simplicity of not having to use a bag to work, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. I try and do a .033 crush and using a Wilser bag I haven't had to even think about using rice hulls in quite some time.

Which is great, because finding those damn things in your spent grain granola really sucks.
This is where I am headed. As the AIO is on a table with the HLT and BK, I will have to stand on a step ladder to lift the bag out of it. Now, I need some form of armature/hoist so it can hang and drip. I wonder where the studs are in the garage ceiling?

This is where I am headed. As the AIO is on a table with the HLT and BK, I will have to stand on a step ladder to lift the bag out of it. Now, I need some form of armature/hoist so it can hang and drip. I wonder where the studs are in the garage ceiling?

Ha…I have those exact thoughts whenever I lift up the malt pipe. I convince myself that it is a good trap/core workout to lift the pipe manually, which I do about every 15 minutes or so to stir up the mash as I’m not convinced the recirc does a good enough job.

End of day, and usually the day after though, my lower back tells me I’m an idiot!!

This is my 1 concern moving over from a 15 gal kettle BIAB to the Foundry. I bought the bag for it, and I plan on using it, although I feel it defeats the purpose of the basket!

I just put my bag inside the malt pipe. Lift and set the malt pipe as usual, then when most of wort has dripped out, I pull the (the now much lighter) bag for a dunk sparge. No hoisted needed. Though, I do use a 1 ft step stool to help with the lifting the bag out of the raised pipe.

If drainage thru bag and pipe is too slow, I can reposition the bag a bit to restart flow.

Back