Martini - taste like gasoline?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EoinMag

Reaction score
So Martini isn't a big drink over here, I decided I wanted to try out this legendary alcoholic drink.

I got the ingredients, Bombay and some Vermouth and some olives and mixed one up, drain pour almost immediately.

Now I like liquor, but not gasoline.

Discuss.....

what octane?

New martini drinkers may enjoy a little sweeter variety - a little fruit instead of the olives, a little pomegranate juice can be good, although it might go better with a vodka martini than gin.

what octane?

New martini drinkers may enjoy a little sweeter variety - a little fruit instead of the olives, a little pomegranate juice can be good, although it might go better with a vodka martini than gin.

I'm not talkin gaytinis :)

Ma'n'tinis, but it would appear I am not enough of a man to drink that putrid swill.

Mixing a good martini is harder than it sounds, I'm not sure what the secret is, but I make crappy martinis & the restaurant bar that I go to makes a great martini; same goes for a good kamikazee. You'll likely have the best chance of getting a good martini at an upscale bar. Regards, GF.

As alluded to above, Martini's are an art form. In my experience make sure that everything is REALLY cold before you start - freeze the glass you'll pour it into or put cold water and ice cubes in it 10 minutes before you drink. Same with the shaker.

In my opinion, Bond was wrong (the heresy) - it is better to stir rather than shake. This makes it cold without breaking up the ice and diluting the spirit (although Bond's signature Vespa martini was 4 shots so could stand some dilution!).

Pour your 3 shots of vodka / gin into the mixer over plenty of ice and stir gently for a lot longer than you'd think. I usually do 10 clockwise stirs, 10 anti-clockwise stirs about 3 times. The liquor should start looking a little thicker by the end of the process.

I use Noilly Prat as a vermouth, it's generally regarded to be as close to the original Kina Lillet which is no longer unavailable.

I usually have mine with a twist of lemon or lime (a thin piece of peel) as I think this adds a freshness to the drink. I love olives, but prefer to have them on the side!

As far as I am aware, I do the same each time I make a martini, but sometimes they just come out dreadful, but when they come out right, I think they are the best drink ever (or at least they're the best way of getting 3 shots of 40% into your body quickly without feeling sick!).

Happy experimenting.

I think they are the best drink ever (or at least they're the best way of getting 3 shots of 40% into your body quickly without feeling sick!).

Happy experimenting.

See now I think the highlighted bit in bold is the key and the only reason to drink this hi-octane stuff.

I like Gin, in fact I love Gin, but with tonic and a slice of lime, and sometimes with OJ.

I suppose it's down to the mixing of the drink.

As alluded to above, Martini's are an art form. In my experience make sure that everything is REALLY cold before you start - freeze the glass you'll pour it into or put cold water and ice cubes in it 10 minutes before you drink. Same with the shaker.

In my opinion, Bond was wrong (the heresy) - it is better to stir rather than shake. This makes it cold without breaking up the ice and diluting the spirit (although Bond's signature Vespa martini was 4 shots so could stand some dilution!).

Pour your 3 shots of vodka / gin into the mixer over plenty of ice and stir gently for a lot longer than you'd think. I usually do 10 clockwise stirs, 10 anti-clockwise stirs about 3 times. The liquor should start looking a little thicker by the end of the process.

I use Noilly Prat as a vermouth, it's generally regarded to be as close to the original Kina Lillet which is no longer unavailable.

I usually have mine with a twist of lemon or lime (a thin piece of peel) as I think this adds a freshness to the drink. I love olives, but prefer to have them on the side!

As far as I am aware, I do the same each time I make a martini, but sometimes they just come out dreadful, but when they come out right, I think they are the best drink ever (or at least they're the best way of getting 3 shots of 40% into your body quickly without feeling sick!).

Happy experimenting.

That sounds great! I like mine in a similar way, EXCEPT no citrus. I like a teaspoon of the juice of the green olives in mine, very little vermouth, and an olive in the bottom. A dry martini is one of the best cocktails in the universe.

My two cents:

vodka, splash of dry vermouth, stirred in a shaker with plenty of ice, serve with cocktail onions or mushrooms.

= profit

I'll post a picture of the one I make tonight.

i despise olives in martinis. leaves an oil slick...disgusting.

twist of lime, and make sure you cut the rind over the glass.

just keep adjusting ratio of gin/vermouth until you're happy. some people just want gin up, if that's what you want order that. i'm about 3/1 or 3/.75

also I hope your talking about regular bombay and not sapphire. blue stuff is for gin and tonic only, if anything.

Here is a great discussion of the Classic Martini on Badger and Blade's Classic Cocktails Series.

The key is good gin, good vermouth to taste. Some like to just wave the bottle over the glass, others swirl it in the glass and others actually like some mixed in.

Gin selection goes a long way. My go to for martinis is Boodles, like the author of that article.

In my opinion, many of the typical British gins don't make a good martini. They are best suited for G & T's and other mixed drinks. Plymouth gin is better, or Hendricks, or a Dutch or French gin, the later two more commonly drunk straight. I'll third the recommendation for a citrus twist for a garnish. I love olives, but not in a gin martini.

If you want olives, a Vodka martini is a better option.

At all costs, avoid any cheap liquor for this kind of drink. You are drinking it practically straight, so it had better taste good by itself.

Same goes for a Manhattan

I'll second Yoop's suggestion of adding a small amount of olive brine but I drink vodka martinis. I don't dislike gin martinis but my wife uses vodka in other drinks so that's what we have on hand. The best way I can think of to describe how a good martini tastes is "if salt water tasted good."

This is a great thread on a great day! My wife and I celebrate Wednesday as "Martini Night". We find a good recipe and cook it while drinking martini's. Sometimes we make great food, sometimes we make bad food and sometimes the only thing we make is lunch for tomorrow :)

I agree with most of the post here. I do Bombay Gin, a cap full of Vermouth a healthy splash of olive juice and shake it until my hand hurts, garnish with 4 big olives. I feel the the olive juice and temperature is the key (in addition to good gin of course). The cold saltyness quenches that inner salt desire that you can't get from salt alone, sort of like sushi. My first sip, I feel an inner massage right between my eyes.....ahhhhhh....its Wednesday!

Another great martini gin in Plymouth. I don't find it in every liquor store but when I do I buy a bottle or two, very smooth stuff.

The best way I can think of to describe how a good martini tastes is "if salt water tasted good."

THIS is the reason olives don't belong in martini's.

why are you guys drinking salt water when you could be drinking a good martini?

THIS is the reason olives don't belong in martini's.

why are you guys drinking salt water when you could be drinking a good martini?

With all due respect bud, because we like it. The same reason some of us brew stouts and others don't enjoy drinking stout at all.

With all due respect bud, because we like it. The same reason some of us brew stouts and others don't enjoy drinking stout at all.

Yea, you bought the gin, so drink it however you want. I think you will see some purists who are rather against the "dirty" martini. Personally I'm not a fan of it, but I don't like water or ice in my Scotch either.

.....but I don't like water or ice in my Scotch either.

No water here. Single Malt....no ice. Blended....I'll have three cubes. I mostly drink beer or wine. If I buy a Scotch it is usually single malt because I don't do it often and it must be an occasion.

I agree with most of the post here. I do Bombay Gin, a cap full of Vermouth a healthy splash of olive juice and shake it until my hand hurts, garnish with 4 big olives. I feel the the olive juice and temperature is the key (in addition to good gin of course). The cold saltyness quenches that inner salt desire that you can't get from salt alone, sort of like sushi. My first sip, I feel an inner massage right between my eyes.....ahhhhhh....its Wednesday!

This.. Good Martini's aren't as easy to make as they would seem. My wife and I do Bombay Saphire classic martinis and she is a master at making them. They are so smooth and balanced with no harsh alcohol bite. I do switch off to Vespers on occasion and use bitters to counteract the Lillet blanc which is sweeter than Bond's Kina Lillet. A Vesper should be golden colored.

I'll take a Manhattan over a Martini any day. Making a Manhattan can be art form as well. I've had some monstrosities served to me at some bars.

One bartender actually tried to substitute a cherry garnish with grenadine.

No water here. Single Malt....no ice. Blended....I'll have a three cubes. I mostly drink beer or wine. If I buy a Scotch it is usually single malt because I don't do it often and it must be an occasion.

No ice for me either but I usually put just a bit of warm water in the glass to open up the aroma. Either that or I fill a wide glass with warm water and set the snifter over it.

Post your Martini!

3 parts Svedka vodka

A tiny bit of dry vermouth

Put in shaker with a ton of ice, stir vigorously, strain over pickled mushrooms

Put in Reverend Horton Heat CD

Enjoy

IMG_4882.jpg

Back