Maris Otter inheritance....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo8553

Reaction score
Someone gave me 6lb of milled maris otter and since I have not stepped up to even partial mash yet, I was wondering if I can make use of it. Not familiar with it, as I have not even used the extract version...possibly to use it as a tea steeping in combo with something else?

You'll need to mash it, but it's really not that much harder than steeping specialty grains. You just need to pay a bit more attention to temperature and water volumes. It's a great base for many styles, though it's an English variety I use it frequently in my American ales. It would be easy to replace some of the light/pale extract in a recipe with a few lbs of the MO. If you have something specific you want to use it in and you post the recipe someone will walk you through converting it to a partial mash.

Clearly, the Powers That Be are telling you to move it up a notch. Check out the BIAB tutorial, and get ready for a new world of beer!

Cheers,

I've never done BIAB myself, but couldn't you just do a small (2-2.5 gallon) brew with just a muslin grain bag on the stovetop, you'll just have to keep it in the appropriate temp range for an hour. Maris otter is a great base grain and its one of my personal favorites for SMaSH IPAs, make sure you don't waste it!

Back