March 809 valve question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acefaser

Reaction score
Anyone use regular 1/2" valves (not the full port) with the 809? Do you have any problems or is this size valve ok to use? I just have the regular valves on my pots and dont want to replace them all.

You likely won't get full flow out of the pump. Other than that it shouldn't be a problem. No different than running a 3/4" valve choked down. I think the only issue would be matching up the threads.

Anyone use regular 1/2" valves (not the full port) with the 809? Do you have any problems or is this size valve ok to use? I just have the regular valves on my pots and dont want to replace them all.

Not sure what you mean by a "regular" valve. The common types are ball valves, butterfly valves, gate valves and globe valves. Most use full port ball valves. I use a gate valve for improved flow control on my pump and my HLT and I have ball valves on the MT and BK drain ports. Show us a pic of your "regular" valve if you can. That would clarify it I am sure.

Not sure what you mean by a "regular" valve. The common types are ball valves, butterfly valves, gate valves and globe valves. Most use full port ball valves. I use a gate valve for improved flow control on my pump and my HLT and I have ball valves on the MT and BK drain ports. Show us a pic of your "regular" valve if you can. That would clarify it I am sure.

Well most 2 piece ball valves have a smaller hole through the ball unless you buy one that specifically states that it is 'full port'. Just wondering if anyone used the smaller hole valves without any problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_valve#Types_of_ball_valve

Well most 2 piece ball valves have a smaller hole through the ball unless you buy one that specifically states that it is 'full port'. Just wondering if anyone used the smaller hole valves without any problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_valve#Types_of_ball_valve

OK, now I understand. I would not use anything less than a full port 1/2" valve on the pump. Anything smaller will restrict the flow substantially. This may or may not be a problem with your system, but it would with mine. The price difference between the full port valves and the regular type is likely not very much.

Back