Marbles and oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markvale5

Reaction score
So after 2 weeks I racked my very first cider into secondary. To fill up the head space I added about one pound of marbles. I used a funnel to add the marbles but as the marbles dropped in it caused the cider to let out CO2 and the cider foamed a bit...by dropping in the marbles did I potentially oxidize the cider? Thanks in advance for any help.

Relax.

If you sit and start to consider the sheer volume of cider that has been made in open topped barrels or vats, with nothing over them except maybe a towel or other clean cloth over, you should start to understand that it's going to take a better effort than that if you want to ruin it.

It'll be fine.

TeeJo

I doubt it. If anything it will probably clear a little faster now that some of that C02 is out. Some people degas cider to help it clear.

Good idea with the marbles, never thought of that.

OK great! Thanks. It was my first batch and wasn't expecting greatness just want to improve every time and running my questions by HBT is a lot more helpful than asking myself. Really appreciate the help.

Back