Maple pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PT934

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed up a maple pale and let it sit in primary for 2 weeks and secondary for 2 weeks. I would like to use maple to prime with for bottling, but not sure how much to use. Is there a standard, or is the sugar content too inconsistent/ not worth it? I am using grade B dark pancake syrup (made in my back yard) if that makes a difference. There is a hint of maple, and I would like a little more.

Charlie P. recommends 1 1/4 cup maple syrup for priming. You might start on the lower end of that, just in case.

Nope, The Homebrewer's Companion has a table of priming amount recommendations for various sugars.

FYI, he also recommends (in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing) at least 1 gallon of maple syrup in a 5 gallon batch, and mentions beer made using raw maple sap in place of water. You may be in a unique position to try that out! :mug:

I was thinking of getting a copy of the homebrewers companion, I think I will have to find one. I definitely have plans to brew a few batches of sap beer next spring. The idea of maple beer is actually what got me started brewing, and I happy to find so many other good recipies to try. Now im hooked! I will run a thread on the sap beer next spring.

So the 1 1/4cup maple syrup seems to be right on. I have had a few and they are pretty good. I didnt follow a recipie or try to stick to any style. I just wanted a beer with some maple flavor to it. Here is what I used for anyone interested:

1lb Crystal 60
3 1/2lbs LME
2lbs DME amber
1lb 8oz Grade B dark pankake syrup (homemade in my sugarhouse)
1oz fuggles (60 min)
1oz East Kent Goldings (20 min)
Pitched on yeast cake from Hefe using Safbrew T-58 dry yeast
(Hefe was good too by the way)

Steeped grains, 1 hr boil.

17 days in primary, 8 days in secondary. 1 1/4 cup same syrup to prime. Primed good after 1 week. I will probably tweak a little, but will definitely try this again. I am also looking for a few different sap beer recipies for the spring to try. The season is kind of short for me as my sugarbushis on a southern exposure hillside, so I want to do 4 batches this spring and go from there for the following season. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back