Maple/Honey Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
OK, so here is my plan. Could you please critique anything you see?

Total batch size: 3.3 gallons ( I hope to be a little over three gallons so when I rack to the 3 gallon secondary carboy, it will fill it to the top)
Honey: 5.5# of wildflower
Maple Syrup: 5.5# of Grade B ( I believe this is about the amount that comes in a ½ gallon)
Yeast: 71-B (about 1.5 gram per gallon)

If my math is right this should give me a gravity of 1.120. I estimate 1.016 for a final gravity.

Process:
I will rehydrate the 71-B with Go-ferm as suggested.
When I pitch the yeast, I will add pure oxygen through a stone.
I will do staggered nutrition. I have something called Fermax yeast nutrient from the Homebrew shop. I also have Yeast energizer from the Homebrew shop (label: Diammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulfate, vitamin B complex)

Questons:
Should I add oxygen again after the fermentation has started or just the first time when I pitch the yeast?
Should I try to stir to degas during fermentation or just leave it alone?
Any suggestions?

I've never read or tried to make a maple mead, but I think that is a lot of maple syrup...

I would cut that in half and replace it with honey.

You are attempting what is known as an Acerglyn (Maple syrup mead).

Everything looks fine in the recipe. I would add O2 and degas the first week or until your gravity hits 1/3 sugar break (1.04 ish).

May want to add some potassium carbonate to buffer the pH, but it may be fine without due to the maple syrup.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks guys. What do you recommend for degas? Will just stirring do it?

for the first 1/3 you want to degas, while introducing new oxygen. There's a ton of ways to do it. I use a milk frother tool, some people have drill attachments, some people shake it a lot. Etc Etc

I use a (sanitized) curtain rod, thing. I don't have a drill, and shaking with the lid on won't oxygenate it at all, only degas it. Two birds with one stone, just take the lid off once or twice a day, and stir the piss out of it with a very sanitized rod or large spoon.

Back