Manual Override?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejluttmann

Reaction score
After having the SSR go bad half way through my boil, I'm thinking I want to add a manual override in case this happens again. Are there any existing diagrams that shows how to manually override the element by bypassing the SSR? Doing some searches, I've found some that allow you to manually override the PID (manually turning the SSR on), but so far I've not seen any that shows how to manually override the element by bypassing the SSR.

Well, let's think...

You could put in an A/B (single pole double throw) switch capable of handling the amperage of your element. A goes to the SSR, B goes directly to the element. Or maybe even a three-way switch. A goes to the SSR, B stops the electricity flowing, C goes directly to the element.

Or they might be called SPCO (single pole change over). At least according to wikipedia.

I like the idea of a A/B switch. Right now I have a contactor between the ssr and the element with a led button to turn on/off the element already. So between the ssr and the contactor I could put this switch. Looking on auber (where I'm looking to buy the replacement ssr) It seems their switches are typically 10amp. They have a couple high amp switches that would probably work but be overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like the idea of a A/B switch. Right now I have a contactor between the ssr and the element with a led button to turn on/off the element already. So between the ssr and the contactor I could put this switch. Looking on auber (where I'm looking to buy the replacement ssr) It seems their switches are typically 10amp. They have a couple high amp switches that would probably work but be overkill.

Personally, I'd go from the contactor to the A/B switch and from the A line go through the SSR and then the B line go directly to the element.

How many amps are you drawing with your BK element?

I believe it pulls a max of 23amps ... I I have a 25amp breaker on the line supplying the load to the element.

Biggest issue so far is finding a 240v 25+amp a/b toggle switch

Back