Mango wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I would start a start to finish thread on this wine. Considering this is my first attempt, there will be one of two lessons learned. First, either the success of it all or second, the failure. Either way, maybe this will help those who are trying for the first time.
Recipe: (these are the original measurements X 5. Hence the large amount of measurement at low measuring type. Just to make it easier for anyone to reduce to a gallon X the amount they want)
12 lbs mango (9lbs ripe and 3lbs green)
10lbs sugar
25 tsp citric acid
5 tsp tannin
10 tbsp depctinizer, pectin enzyme,
10 campden tablets (3 for primary and one for each racking?)
1/2 cup Yeast nutrients (I am using golden dried raisins soaked)
Safale S-04 Dry Ale yeast (read this is a good yeast for a dry)
Water to 4.9 gallon (was told this is not necessary, but I am wanting to maintain a 14abv-ish)

Method: (Please speak up if there should be a change!!!)
1. Mango pulped after peeling and destoning
2. Boil 5 quarts water with sugar to make syrup
3. Let cool to near room temp, then add tannin, citric acid, yeast nutrient and depectinizer
4. Add water to make 5 gal by volume
5. Cover and store for 1 day at room temp. Allows pectinizer to break down pulp.
6. Add yeast and let ferment in primary fermenter for 6-7 days (question: I do need to stir daily right?)
7. Strain off sediment and place in Secondary fermenter with an airlock for 1-2 weeks
8. When fermentation has ceased and wine has cleared, pour into bottles and seal.

I feel that there is very important information missing from the method! I am posting this from my phone, but I will add the link to the recipe that I am referencing from. Also, I find it is very important to enjoy two frozen burritos covered in cheese and salsa with a very cold Kona Brewing Hanalei Beer!
Please advise.

Mahalo nui loa!

Recipe link: http://foodandtravelwithdes.blogspot.com/2010/03/tropical-fruit-wine-making-mango-wine.html

Further notes: A 5 gallon planters bucket contains between 12-13.5 lbs of mango! I measured this with 20lbs of varying size mangos at random. That amount yields roughly 3.75 - 4.0 liters of mango pulp puree. Pretty cool to know.

Attachments

• 0F23F3C4-18BF-403F-87BB-47576F7817AD.jpeg
    0F23F3C4-18BF-403F-87BB-47576F7817AD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I live in Thailand and I have a lt of mango trees, so I want to try this, but where can I buy pectinizer online? I tried Ebay and Lazada, but no results. Do you know an addressthat can send it to Thailand?

I live in Thailand and I have a lt of mango trees, so I want to try this, but where can I buy pectinizer online? I tried Ebay and Lazada, but no results. Do you know an addressthat can send it to Thailand?

Sawadika :) newbie here from Indonesia I found this. Now just trying my first batch.

Very easy no need yeast. Mine in third days & can see bubble after 24 hours.

"depectinizer", while a grammatically accurate term for the effect described, is a made-up word. Search for "pectinase" or "pectin enzyme" and you'll find it no problem

Back