Mandarina Bavaria SMaSH mild flavor/aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
I just kegged a SMaSH brewer with all Golden Promise and Mandarina Bavaria, fermented with sacch trois. I did this in a juicy NEAPA style: no boil hops, but 8 oz in the whirlpool and 6 oz as a biotransformation dry hop addition. It’s pretty good — finished dry, with a nice enough flavor — but I’m surprised that I’m not getting a ton of character from the hop, with nearly a pound in a 5 gallon batch. Am I just expecting this to behave like Mosaic or Citra, when it’s a more subdued hop?

Last edited:
It's a much more subdued hop. It works best mixed with similar tangerine/citrussy/orange hops, but don't expect explosive flavours. It however works great in Kolsch, Lagers, Pale and Blonde Ales, Belgians, etc. so basically where you want a subtle / pleasent hop presence, and not an over-the-top fruit salad.

Used it as a solo hop in a belgian blonde, i think i could have gone with almost anything though since it wasn't hop forward. I used it to dry hop a blonde and to me got more of an orange rind type of flavor.
If you have ever tried kumquats and eaten them whole, that's the flavor i got from this.

Last edited:
I just used this hop in an IPA with Cascade, Chinook, and Summit. I guess its a type of NEIPA recipe since I'm going with an two step dry hop schedule.

It's one of the "newer" german hops and does not have the same amount of oils as the american counterparts. So you really need to use a whole lot more of it if you expect the american amount of flavor.

I figured 14 oz would do the job. The beer is actually quite good, I think — the sacch trois really saved the day by contributing its own fruitiness.

This has shaped up to be a really excellent beer. I’ll be using it as a template for future SMaSHes!

I've used it in IPAs and lately in my lagers as well. Too subdued for my IPAs and it's very good in my lagers but I think it may be too overpowered when trying to create the beers to style as compared to using traditional noble hops

Back