Malts - Explanation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFreeman

Reaction score
Hi,

So basically I am trying to experiment with, kits, mini mash. I am browsing my locals suppliers website and going over all the Malts.

One thing I have noticed is the % suggested. Example Chocolate Malt is around 5%. What does this 5% exactly mean?

I was going to add 1KG to a Coopers Stout kit. Would that be a lot? Note that I am talking about grains and not powdered extract.

Thanks in advance!
TheFreeman

The "5% suggested" means this particular grain ingredient can be up to five percent of your measured total grain weight. The remaining ninety-five percent might be base malt or other flavoring/coloring grains. The chocolate malt at "5% suggested" would be part of the flavoring/coloring grains.

One kilogram total grain weight would call for 50g chocolate malt.
Ten kilograms of grain would call for 500g chocolate malt.

1Kg=US 2.2 pounds, and in my opinion, that's a bit much dark Lovibond grain to be used for flavor or color.

Last edited:
Ok, would be nice if I can find a good guide/book explaining ideas like, Base Malts and list all base malts etc.

I understand what you are saying thanks for the info!!

Back