Malt milling allergies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloose

Reaction score
My group of brewing friends, while being all grain for some time, had not stepped up to barley mills. Recently I was having extreme asthma attacks at my buddies house, I figured it was his cat. I recently realized I was having wicked attacks from milling the grist indoors, now that we are all milling- the particles made my lungs tighten up like crazy and hung around for hours, even in my own house. My allergies and asthma are well controlled with medication, and I go years without attacks- until now. Anyone have any ideas to reduce the grist dust (obviously I'm going to be milling outside from now on)? ...thanks

Malt conditioning.

Put a few ounces of water in a spray mister. Lightly mist the un milled grain with water. stir and repeat a few times giving the water a few minutes to soak in. This will significantly reduce dust. Also just throw on one of those readily available $3.00 dust masks while you mill just in case.

I nearly died in a field in Kansas once. I was on the side of a grain truck during the wheat harvest on my cousins farm. We were far enough from any hospital it was pretty scary. Only time in my life I have had an attack if that severity.

I get the same thing. Took me a little while to identify the problem. I brew in the garage and crush there too. I've got an industrial fan, so I throw that on and crack the garage door when crushing. This helps but what I've found is to just plan a little bit ahead. One or two puffs on the Ventalin before hand and I am good to do. Also mash in will get me sometimes.

I always mill outside, even when it's really cold. I don't even like pouring grain from container to container inside because of the dust it creates. I don't use a respirator, but I've considered it. I took a medical mycology course in college and there are problems with inhaling grain dust.

These links detail some problems with grain dust:
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/CropNews/2012/0925schwab.htm
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/442/442-602/442-602.html

These are obviously extreme cases. We're not farmers. They're getting about 1000x the exposure we get, but if you brew a lot, you're probably getting a good dose of grain dust on a regular basis. If you have allergies, asthma, or kids why take chances?

What about putting your mill in a cabinet? I have mine in one and it keeps any dust inside and I'm not breathing it in.

image-2464125216.jpg

After working for years on a farm in dirty, dusty conditions inside graineries and hay lofts/straw mows filled with molds, fungus and dust, I definitely say wear a respirator NOT a mask and don't grind the grain in your kitchen. Several of my former neighbors have been diagnosed with farmers lung and I'm sure I suffer the effects of it too.

Of course, you won't be nearly exposed to the levels I was, but if you really do have severe allergies to the stuff then yea a respirator is the way to go. (I'm not saying get all dressed up in chemical gear, just wear a reasonable respirator.)

As a kid I baled hay and ran a combine all open cab and now suffer from the allergies. Sucks I know but you can limit the dust and help yourself by doing it outside. This also has the added benefit of limiting the wild bugs that flourish on the grain ability to get into the wort.

As a kid I baled hay and ran a combine all open cab

Remember those days, Farmall M and a John Deere 14T, hot and dirty as hell, but nothing more satisfying than a hard days work...

Hay was bad but I got chaff in places a man should not have chaff. Still loved it

Tell me about it, spent many days getin' chaff everywhere... I'd image most brewers have never spent a day in hot dusty field...

Remember those days, Farmall M and a John Deere 14T, hot and dirty as hell, but nothing more satisfying than a hard days work...

Yup, we used the same rig except had a Case L tractor.

I get the same thing. I wear a respirator from HF. Seems to work. Anytime I open up my grain bins, the mask goes on. Same with dumping the grain into the MT. It sucks!! The neighbors probably think I'm making meth.

Latest posts

Back