Malt burned to pot bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maegnar

Reaction score
Hello, fellow homebrewers

I'm in a process of brewing right now so if any urgent answers will come - I will be grateful.
I was doing a temperature mash, with 30min protein rest (50C) and after that I turned on the stove to raise temperature of mash for saccharification. Then suddenly I've noticed a foul burnt smell, like hair burning. I've reduced the stove's heat and continued raising the temps on a lower heat level, but while stirring, I've noticed that the center of the pot's bottom had something burned to it. I've rubbed off some of it - it was caramel.
How bad is my situation - I'm sure the beer will be fine, but how much will the taste change because of this burning? I hope I will not get burnt hair taste in it...?
Not sure if it will help - I'm brewing an American Brown Ale with 66.66% of pale two-row and 33.33% of CaraCrystal 50. Don't mind the high amount of caramel malt - it's fine. It's the third time I'm brewing this beer and two last times the beer was very tasty.

Thanks for your answers.

If you taste the wort and taste the burnt flavor and don't like it its time to toss, it won't go away.

Just tasted it - i don't notice any burned taste... going for mashout now...

You should be fine then, just pay attention to that flavor. No use wasting yeast and hops on a burnt batch.

Stir Stir Stir when applying direct heat.

If not too bad, it should be blended into the overall flavor. If it tastes acrid / charcoal, it's trash.

Stir-stir-stir - i will know better next time :)
The taste seems fine and sweet - the yeast is now pitched and I'm waiting for happy bubbling :)

Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back