Malt 4 Kentucky Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
I really enjoy Cream Ale and California Common so brewing the other truly American beer...Kentucky Common Is on my list. I have read the new BJCP guidelines for it and reviewed the talk given to convince them to add it to the 2015 style guide. This is the general grist. It is basically a Cream Ale with more body and color. The dark malts may have been added to adjust for the alkalinity of the water around Louisville Kentucky.
6 row
Corn
1-2% Black Malt
1-2% Caramel Malt
Any idea which Caramel malt might be best?

I've brewed the kiss yer cousin about 3 times. It is a very drinkable beer. But is a bit thin due to all the corn I think. I use c-60 in mine 4% and a couple ounces of black patent malt.

I did one that was sort of reversed from a mash -

65% 6 Row
25% corn
10% rye malt
5% Roasted Barley

Bittered with Cluster, on the slightly malty side.

I keep meaning to re-brew it and swing it more to the hoppy side and at a higher mash temp to keep more body in the beer, it just get's lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for the responses. I notice many of the recipes use rye but according to the new guidelines this isn't a part of the style. Caramel color was sometimes used in place of caramel malt so it seems like at 1-2% it was more of a color addition so probably one of the darker crystals. Corn can lighten the body. They report a mash temp of 154-155. I'm not sure I'll go that high. I like a drier finish. I think 152f. They also report a 2 hour boil which probably developes some color. I think I"ll use 3 oz of black patent and 4 oz 120l crystal. They do call it Dark Cream Common after all. Any thoughts on yeast?

Back