Making your own yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZBrewHaus

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make their own yeast starter in a large batch and store it, similar to the propper starter cans? I’m guessing it’s just wort in a can with a little CO2 to prevent it from going stale. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!
ABEE2200-9518-44E3-A7E6-A8A6C2BA27AB.jpeg

I've not done it myself, but a lot of guys will make a larger batch of starter wort and then can it. I believe it needs to be pressure canned, not water bath canned.

A write up from Drew Beechum: The Starter Made Easy (Pressure Cooking Your Starter Wort Ahead Of Tim

My understanding is that a pressure canner is required to eliminate the potential for botulism. While botulism is rare, it is deadly and unfermented wort provides the perfect environment for it to take hold (high pH, lots of sugar, low oxygen).

Thanks for all the great feedback! You don’t think you could CO2 purge some beer bottles and bottle the wort starter from a keg? It has to be pressure canned?

Thanks for all the great feedback! You don’t think you could CO2 purge some beer bottles and bottle the wort starter from a keg? It has to be pressure canned?

CO2 wouldn't even kill any yeast that happened to be in there.

There have also been reports that "pressure canning" the wort causes dark deposits from forming. They may not harm the starter, but you may not want to carry them over to the batch of beer.

Instead of pressure canning leftover or intentionally brewed surplus wort, I freeze it in 40 oz (?) cottage cheese containers. I then reboil (and chill) it right before use, which really doesn't offer much savings in money and time over making it from scratch using DME whenever needed. But I obtain DME at a very decent price at our group grain buys.

I use a stainless kitchen pot (with well fitting lid) to boil starter wort. Easy peasy, and it chills quickly in a sink with 1 or 2 changes of cold water. I'm never waiting for it to chill, there are better things to do.

Latest posts

Back