Making my own false bottom, dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbous_blues

Reaction score
Hi

"Warning this is a post from a noob"

I have just started up brewing after getting a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit for christmas. So far I've made two batches and have been satisfied.

At the weekend my local supermarket was selling 5 gallon igloo coolers for $18, I had read in "how to brew" that people have made a MLT from them, having no real knowledge of such a thing I bought it anyway as it seemed such a deal.

Reading further I now know I need a false bottom but these are obviously expensive, so looked into the idea of making my own. I understand that for a 5 gallon round cooler a 9" doomed piece of perforated metal is required. I found elsewhere on the site that people had mentioned attempting to make one from a pizza pan.

Then I found this!! 8" Aluminum Pizza Screen
http://www.acemart.com/prod4710.html

So my question is do you think this will work, does the false bottom have to be 9"

Thanks guys!:mug:

The problem with the pizza screen is that it is not domed and if it was it would collapse under the weight of the grain. Best bet is to just buy one from Midwest, Northern Brewer etc..

If you insist on building your own, you may try a 9" pie pan, you'll have to drill the holes and install the fitting yourself. There are several threads in the DIY forum that discuss doing something similar.

ah thanks for the reply, I never thought of the weight. I think your right it's best to just buy one in that case, buy the time I've drilled the holes, and bought all the other required pieces, I may of saved a little money but end up with something inferior. Thanks though

Back