Making mash tun watertight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keesh

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I made a thread a little while ago, unfortunately it wasn't posted through (unapproved by mods?). Anyways, no big deal, I actually resolved that issue. I have a new question and I figured since that one didn't go through I'd try again.

I am almost finished with my cooler mash tun, following these these instructions. The problem is I ended up using 3/4" fittings, and the plastic 'washer' that came with the cooler was 1/2".

The reason was because there was a rubber gasket inside the opening when I removed the plastic spigot, which ended up tying the 1/2" intake (from inside) to the larger 3/4" output (outside). After I removed this gasket I ended up with a 1 inch hole (which I fit a 3/4" brass nipple into). I constructed everything else, with a metal washer on each side, and after tightening I did a water test. It is not water tight no matter how much I tighten it. I am using teflon tape as well.

Long story short, tl;dr, I couldn't use the stock plastic washer which came from my cooler, and this is causing me leakage issues. How can I make it water-tight? Would pictures help visualize my problem? I am thinking either some kind of O-ring/rubber gasket type thingy or as a last resort, a silicone sealant.

Thank you for reading all of this and for your help.

Latest posts

Back